Small WildlifePest Control

Getting a Skunk Out of a Shed

How do I get rid of a skunk living under my shed?

By tfourunner from Boston, MA

Answers

I have this book "1001 All-Natural Secrets to a Pest-Free Property" by Dr. Myles H. Bader (excellent book) and he says "to get some old clothes that have been worn and not washed and pour some household ammonia on them and leave them where you expect the skunk to enter. It will repel them and they will never come back". Hope this helps. Buy the book if you can.

Skunk has dug a hole underneath my garden shed and does not want to come out. Is there a way to get it out?

Ron from Newmarket, Ontario

Answers:

Getting A Skunk Out Of A Shed

I have read that loud heavy metal or head-bang rock music will run animals off. Take your CD player out on an extension cord, borrow a neighbor kid's CD and blast away.

Animals will just leave. The animal I read about was a skunk and it just left. No spray or anything to leave a smell. (05/09/2008)

By Vicka

Getting A Skunk Out Of A Shed

The heavy-metal music might work, but don't do it until night. Skunks are nocturnal they will not leave during the day no matter how loud the music is. What I suggest is in the evening use mothballs, get yourself several boxes and sprinkle them around and behind things carefully not to disturb your friend, you can use a section of PVC pipe for dropping down behind things.

The way to tell if the skunk has left is to sprinkle flour all on the ground around the opening, when the tracks are all going out, block the opening. You may need to check several times in the evening to make sure it has gone.
(05/09/2008)

By BABBIE

Getting A Skunk Out Of A Shed

You local animal control knows how to deal with this, and they won't need to shoot it. (05/09/2008)

By kimhis

Getting A Skunk Out Of A Shed

If there's a lot of recent real estate development around you, the animals are fast losing their territory and they aren't behaving in ways we're used to. Skunks "travel" and it used to be that you could let them alone and they would leave. But now they have fewer places to go to. I'd call someone if they're not gone in a week. (05/11/2008)

By Jantoo

Getting A Skunk Out Of A Shed

You might try a humane approach like coaxing them out with food placed in a pet carrier, one sized for a medium size dog would probably work. They are vegetarians and love canned Veg-all, frozen (but thawed) mixed vegetables, fruit, and Cheerios to name a few. Line the carrier with newspaper, have a bowl of the food already in there. They don't bite and the babies cannot spray much and it's doubtful the Mom will spray if she knows you're feeding them, being friendly to her and the babies.

Most animal control people, rescuers won't handle skunks for the fear of rabies. They aren't the terrible animals they are made out to be. I rescued four babies a few years ago that is how I know this. If nothing else, set the carrier out there with food in it and leave for a bit. It might take a few times of doing this, but if their natural "home" has been destroyed, just as any mom would, she's desperately trying to find a quiet place to raise her babies.

Find a park with a secluded area ahead of time where you can release the babies. I didn't have the mom so I had to keep the babies for about 2 months until strong enough to snuffle for food themselves. Be sure the release area's not frequented by hikers with dogs or an area likely to flood. Skunks don't see very well so it's up to us to check out foreseeable hurdles for them. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions on here you or anyone else might have. *peace* (06/12/2008)

By Animals Friend