Use Old Cell Phone to Set Reminders

I have joked and complained to my mother that I am getting as bad as she is with her memory and I need a dozen alarm clocks around the house to remind me of things I need to do or remember! I can't seem to remember to watch the time my kids are on the computer/video games/phone. I forget to check and see if they did their chores first, or my vow to turn the TV off after my favorite show instead of leaving it on all the time for background noise. I need help remembering to take my morning vitamins, or take my very important evening medication on time, or call for doctor or dentist appointments (haven't seen the dentist for nearly a year because I forget to call them until the office is closed!). I want a reminder to make the kids start picking their stuff up 30 minutes before bedtime, or follow through on my promise to the kids that they get to go to bed early the next night since they took so long getting ready tonight - get the picture?

My kids sure do get the picture, they have at turns, become very frustrated at my poor memory when I forget to do something I promised, and also totally delighted when I forget they've only been playing that video game 3 hours!

I've finally come up with a solution that works for me and my family. Lists don't work anymore, I forget to look at them. Alarm clocks and kitchen timers don't work, there aren't enough settings for what I need. I already use my cell phone alarms to remind me of medications and some appointments, but I have to change them frequently and forget to put the original setting back - thus forgetting my medication again! Then a recent cell phone carrier change left me with a nice, but useless cell phone - or maybe not so useless after all! Now I have FIVE alarms I can set to remind me. I have some that will stay fixed - such as when there is no TV, phone, games, etc. while homework and chores get done. And also to remind the kids to pick up before bed. And then I can also set some of the alarms to remind me of things I keep saying "I'll remember to do that tomorrow" like call the dentist, take the roast out to thaw in the morning, take a walk after dinner, and so on.

Hey, if that isn't enough, I still have my husband's "useless" phone. Oh yeah, we just updated the kid's old trac phone recently,it has alarms too. The possibilities are endless, I can just see it, oops, hear it now.

By lyonpridej from Tulsa, OK

It's wonderful that you found something to help job your memory. But it seems like you have deeper issues than that. Most people forget to do things but your memory loss seems rather acute. Have you thought about getting a neurological exam to see if there's a larger problem here? It might save you heaps of heartache down the line, especially as you get older when memory usually gets a little scatty. There might be nothing wrong but if there is, it's best to nip these things in the bud before they become life threatening.

Just a thought.

Great idea! I have a couple old phones I can use. Thanks for the idea!

lynonpridej - if you do get a neurological exam, let me know what you find out. I have the exact same problem but my doc doesn't seem to care.

It's not memory loss, it's a case of being forgetful & distracted. And I think I can safely say after being a mother for over 27 years, whose 2 youngest are still at home, that this is a common problem for moms because we are too busy, always on the run & almost always over-multi-tasking! And I can most definately attest to the fact that riding the menopause rollercoaster can really do a number on your brain(among other things)-in my house we have all ends of the hormone spectrum- a menopausal mom, a son beginning puberty, a teen boy almost ready to drive & a husband geting ready to turn 50. Add to that the 2 adult kids who live nearby(1 who lost her job, 1 getting divorced) & their spouses all adding more drama to the pot and then there are the grandkids. We have a set of 4 yr old twins, a 3 yr old & a set of 2 /12 yr old twins,& I watch all of them frequently. I took care of the youngest set of twins from birth to just recently for over 10 hours a day on top of taking care of my own kids & their busy activities! You can throw into the pot a few very stressfull events happening the last couple of years too!

If I had a neurological exam, the Dr would probably tell me my poor brain is over-extended, over-worked & never slows down for a second!

Seriously though, I do have to say that if anyone is experiencing more than the normal amount of "mommy fatigue & forgetfullness", you really need to get a check-up. I did go through a recent period of very real memory loss & forgetfullness, along with mind-numbing fatigue that I knew was not normal. I did finally drag myself to the Dr. & was dx with diabetes & I think I've probably had it a couple of years. Now that I am medicated & have the blood sugar under control, I am back to my more normal, scatter-brained self!

Great idea of the used phones. I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and have the hardest time remembering when to check my glucose.

Now how do I rember to charge the phone? Great idea.

Organizing Memory TricksAugust 24, 2010
Pink Silicone Cell Phone Case
Cleaning a Silicone Cell Phone Case
striped knit sock like phone pouch
Making a Cell Phone Holder
Cell Phone User Making call with Card
Saving Money on Phone Cards
Stack of Old Phone Books
Uses for Old Phone Books