WeedsGardening

Getting Rid of Weeds Without Herbicides

Category Weeds

My entire back yard is virtually 100% weeds and I want to kill everything and start over and put lots of plants in and some grass, too. I have dogs and I won't use Roundup or other chemicals. I have been reading about vinegar as a safe method, but would be interested in any other suggestions, especially for treating a large area. Before spraying, should I bother mowing and cutting down everything or just spray? Thanks!

By Rodger H.

Two years ago I used a mixture of household ammonia and water, worked amazingly well. First I pulled all the weeds and piled them in a compost style heap. Then I poured the ammonia/water mixture on them. Within 2 weeks the weeds including crab grass were all dead. The following year I was able to use the residue in my composter.

Vinegar does kill the weeds but if I were you, I would call your county extension service and tell them you don't want to use Roundup and see what they suggest. They should be in your phone book, their advice is free.