Recipes Using Avocados

I love fresh avocados and can sometimes get really good deals on them. Does anyone know of a recipe or if you can freeze them in any way? TIA

Cookiepom from Owensboro, KY

We have two favorite avocado recipes.

1. Halve the avocado. Remove the pit (sink a sharp knife into it, then twist the knife-and-pit until it releases and you can lift it out). Pour a small quantity of balsamic vinegar into the depression and lightly sprinkle sea salt around the cut (flat) edge. Yummy!

2. Remove seed from avocado, scoop out the green flesh and cut into bite-size pieces. Add a cut-up tomato and a small amount of cut-up onion. Mix together. Sprinkle sea salt lightly over the top; enjoy.

I slice avocado in strips, salt and roll up in warm flour tortilla. Depending on your taste, you can add salsa. Fattening but OH SOOOO GOOD!

Yes, you can freeze them if you make guacamole first and put them in zip-lock freezer bags. I wouldn't try to freeze them whole or in strips as they are likely to turn to mush. But guacomole can be successfully frozen and thawed...

YUM! Avocados are my favorite! You can use them in all kind of recipes. Slice or dice them and put them on a romaine or kale leaf with other veggies and have a healthy roll-up. Make a super guacamole, top off your favorite salads, add to carrot juice to make a very refreshing cool raw carrot soup. Endless ideas and yes, you can freeze them. Peel and Pit and dice or slice and freeze.

Do a search on avo recipes to come up with tons more.

Enjoy them!

I had a huge tree when I lived in California. I used to make my version of guacamole and freeze it. It froze without problems. If you get discoloration, stir it in -- it's only on the top. Guacamole: Mash avocadoes and mix in lemon juice and salt. You can always add chilies and tomatoes when you thaw it out. MMMM!!!!

I read recently that in Brazil they use the avocado as a dessert ingredient. Here's a recipe I found:

Creme de Abacate (Avocado Cream)

Serves 4

Brazil is possibly the only cuisine that sweetens avocado and serves it as a dessert, rather than salted as in guacamole or salads.

2 medium Avocados

2 tablespoon Lime juice

4 tablespoon Granulated sugar

1/4 cup Ice water

Peel and slice the avocado, discarding the seed. Place fruit, lime juice and sugar in a food processor or blender.

Puree at high speed until completely smooth. Add a little water if the puree is very stiff (some prefer white wine). It should be absolutely smooth and creamy. If lumpy, force through a wire strainer. Serve in a clear glass.

http://www.sallys-place.com/food/ethnic_cusine/brazil.htm

Good Luck!

Ohh my favorite Avacado recipe.

Flour tortilla with sliced avacados squeeze of fresh

lime or lemon and alfalfa sprouts dash of salt roll

and ENJOY.

Also,

Sliced avacados on cold turkey sandwiches are so

GOOD.

maybe try typing in avacado recipes in search engine

and see what is out there...

enjoy some for me.

I love avocados! I freeze them mashed up with a lil lemon juice added. I also like to slice them and add to a warmed tortilla with bacon! YUMMY! Or even on bread with bacon!

Want a nice looking green plant....try planting the seed...you have to bring it in in the winter since you are near my area, I know this for a fact. My sis and I had our Mom plant and grow one, it was pretty big but a cat knocked it over and used the bathroom in it and she threw it out. Good luck!

Michele ..near Owensboro

Mash the avacado(es). Squeeze some lemons and/or limes over them. Add several shakes of: onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Mix, taste, and freeze. My kids love it.

Try a "BLA"...just like a BLT but with avocado instead of tomato. Yummy!

Our favorite way to eat avacadoes is just slice and use them to top Ritz crackers...Go great with a large tossed salad. If they are too ripe to slice, just mash them and use as a spread. I refrigerate them if they become ripe before I am ready to use them, and they will keep a little longer, but have never tried freezing.

Two avocados, one cut in half with the seed inside.
Recipes Using Avocado
Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceJune 16, 2006
Avocados from Florida
Storing Avocados
Avocados cut in half.
Using Avocados
An avocado cut in half.
Guacamole Salad Recipes
Halved avocado on top of pile of avocados.
Freezing Avocados
🎄