Keeping Skunks Out of My Yard

How can I discourage skunks from coming onto our property?

By AvaElizabeth from London, Ontario, Canada

There is this thing called "Synthetic Predator Pee" & it repels animals from the area because they think they may be hunted by their natural enemies. The only problem is, you have to re-apply it each time it rains.

I have a second idea. If you or a friend has a cat & they use a natural, biodegradable cat littler (like S'wheat Scoop-made from wheat, Worlds Best-made from cornmeal, Or Feline Pine-made from pine, or the new biodegradable Arm & Hammer litter made from corn fibers) These are now sold in most grocery stores. You can mix the dirty cat litter around in the litter box, then pour it around the edge of your property, or where you know skunks like to go. Hopefully the smell of the cat will keep the Skunks away!

This cat litter will naturally biodegrade, & in a year or two you can plant flowers there, but you should never grow vegetables where you place the litter. Also, some people buy plastic owls that have heads that move & sometime they can keep birds & other critters away.

Never use Hot Pepper outside because if someone's pet gets in your yard, the hot pepper can get in their eyes & they can dig their eyes out because of the pain. I used to recommend hot pepper to keep varmints away, but so many ThriftyFun readers wrote to me about the dangers, that I always warn people now!

I had this problem a few years ago. I called animal control and they told me to use moth balls around the outside of the yard and bushes, this worked. If you have any pets, make sure to place the moth balls where they can't get to them.

I just saw a show about skunks on our PBS channel. They recommended a boom box, on low, with the bass at its highest level. Point it toward the area where they are hiding (this was under a porch) and only play it at night. Worth a try and won't harm other animals or the environment!

Pebblesru4, unbelievable that your local animal control recommended moth balls :-o Not only are they poisonous to any living creature (including your pets and children) but also cause respiratory problems and pollute the area they are placed :-o They are only meant for a completely enclosed chest, box, etc, to keep moths from eating woolen clothing! Hopefully your animal control is no longer suggesting this!

I cut the toe off old pantyhose and put a chunk of strong smelling soap in them such as Irish Spring and tie them low down on the fence. It keeps them away as they hate the smell.

Getting Rid of Skunks
Getting Rid of Skunks
Home and Garden Pest Control Small WildlifeMarch 10, 2010
Raccoon in park trash bin with plastic bag in its mouth.
Keeping Raccoons Out of the Trash
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Skunk
Understanding Skunk Behavior
Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air
Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard
🎄