Sore Throat and Ear Ache

By peggy vidal 10 5

I'm fighting a sinus infection and just got an antibiotic from the doctor but it hasn't kicked in yet. So I have a very severe sore throat and ear ache. Any tips to ease the pain for these? I've tried gargling with salt water, honey and chloraseptic but it still hurts.

peggygv

Filter Sort

By Stacey 1 22 Flag

I always have bad allergies and constantly have to fight off sinus infections. When I do get them, I use a Netty Pot with a couple of drops of vinegar in the solution. Actually, I use the squirt bottle kind because it seems to get up in there better. I really am not a fan of using antibiotics unless I really have to since it seems to exacerbate sinus problems for me. There are other strong, temporary allergy things out there that your doctor can give you for a sinus infection that won't throw off the microbial balance in your body, usually a type of steroid. Not to mention that a sinus infection is caused by fungus, not by bacteria.

Before I resort to prescriptions, I try to drink a ton of water, cut off all caffeines and sodas, and drink as much fresh ginger root tea as I can stand. Ginger is an anti inflammatory. If you really just don't like ginger, try a zinc supplement as an inflammatory. Pseudophed and claritin are also a great help just to get the junk out, and I use a prescription of nasonex all the time as a preventative measure. I have found one of the most helpful cures, besides being well hydrated, is "popping" my ears. My doctor taught me this. You close your throat, close your mouth, plug your nose, and sort of "blow" gently so that an air bubble travels up your eustachian tubes. You have to be careful with this when you're ears are already swollen, but the added pressure of the air should help press fluid down your tubes and out where it can drain. I can never do it if I'm lying down, and it also doesn't drain as well in this position. Then you can yawn to open up your tubes, or to give it a little more wallop, chew a piece of gum. I try to pop my ears everyday whether I have an infection or not just to keep the works clear.

As for just pain, I'd use ibuprofen.

I hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Stacey 1 22 Flag

Edit: My bad. A sinus infection can be caused by either bacteria or fungus. But I still say antibiotics are an absolute last resort.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By charlotte 1 Flag

I'm going on holiday in two days time and have a sore throat and ear ache. I looked on this site and great feedback from people I have drank my ginger tea with honey in it and poured sweet oil in my ear recommended from people on here and it seems to have eased it a lot. I'm also taking the advice of 2 garlic cloves and 500mils water. Good job. I'm not socializing tomorrow! Pain killers, which I'm not looking forward to but will keep you updated.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

peggygv

Answers:

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Yeah, those things are painful. Been there, done that. People don't realize how bad the sore throat pain can be, unless they've experienced it.

For me, plain old Tylenol or Ibuprofen works wonders on it. Of course, it depends on what you're able to take, and what else you're taking, so check with your doctor or pharmacist.

I've also found that an OTC sinus med, such as Sudafed Sinus or a store brand, works if I start taking it just as soon as I have the slightest symptom. That has saved me a lot of suffering in the past few years.

Don't talk if you can help it! Use sign language. LOL
I hope you're feeling better very soon.

Patti (03/26/2005)

By Patti

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I just fought a bout with the Severe Sore Throat by drinking Hot Honey Lemon Tea around the clock. The combo of the heat, honey, & lemon did wonders for soothing the pain in my throat.

For an ear ache, I always use Sweet Oil drops.

Marla

http://forgetmenotaromas.com - Our fragrances leave lasting impressions.

(03/27/2005)

By forgetmenotaromas

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

As weird as it sounds, gargle w/ apple cidar vinegar (mix w/ honey if you can't stand the taste). It's awful, but works! (03/27/2005)

By bev

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I can't help with the sore throat because it sounds like you tried everthing I would have tried, but for your earache try the sweet oil, its the same as olive oil, my husband put some in a teaspoon and heated it slightly with a lighter then poured into my ear, put cotten in and the next morning the pain was gone. But please be very careful not to get the oil to hot. I hope you feel better soon. (03/28/2005)

By

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Try some hot Tang--that orange drink mix. Mix it with some hot water. It feels really good on a sore throat. (03/28/2005)

By Allison

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

For the ear ache, if you are hesitant to put drops in, or Dr. says not to, use a blowdryer (hair dryer) set on med or low heat, held about 10-12" from ear & let the heat & dry air get in there. Worked for my young son when he woke crying & had a lot of pain. This method was ok w/ pediatrician. Worked within a few minutes & also relaxed my son back to sleep, we went to the Dr. the next day for medicine! Bad ear infection
(03/28/2005)

By kidsNclutter

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

At the very first sign of a sore throat, start taking this stuff in the Cough and Cold section at the store called "Airborne". I've prevented my children from getting sick all winter by having them take this (and has worked for me too) at the first signs of a sore throat. It works great and is all natural herbs - nothing synthetic. (03/29/2005)

By Teresa Shearer

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Warm salt in a sock. You can warm salt in a microwave or in a saucepan on stove or maybe in the oven. Pour the salt in a sock (Maybe two socks) then hold to your ear. I've also used a heating pad.

For sore throat I like honey and apple cider vinegar in hot water.

Christy (03/31/2005)

By Christy

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

A hot water bottle under a pillow works miracles for pain. Keep taking your meds, but heat feels good, I think. (02/04/2007)

By phoenix

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

For sore throat my grandma used to make up a batch to help soothe an inflamed and scratchy throat, it works a treat, you'll need a glass. In it place a good dollop of honey, melt in microwave. Add juice of half a lemon (fresh lemon juice is best) and stir. For those legally able to drink alcohol add a cap of brandy or something similar (I use aromatic bitters), for those under the legal age, just add a little water. Stir and drink. It may taste potent but it does the trick. Also great for chesty cough. Another remedie is to crush up two cloves of raw garlic and spread onto buttered toast and eat. Follow up with a big glass of water (500ml) and go to bed to sweat it out. Hope you feel better soon :-) (03/12/2007)

By halobaby

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I also have an on-going earache (both ears), sore throat (base of the neck - hard to swallow), a bit of a fever, and overall tiredness for the past 4 days now. Thus the reason I am searching for a do-it-yourself cure to try before I go to the doctor. I have been trying some of the more common things such as cough drops, drinking plenty of water, honey lemon tea, etc. but they are all just temporary solutions for me.

There is one thing that has worked the best for one of these "Temporary" solutions however, and I will pass it on to you in case it works better for you. Thanks to my Brother for this one.

Boil a small amount of Ginger in about 2 cups of water for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add the juice of 1 fresh Lemon. Stir in about a tablespoon of honey until melted. Preferably, drink this while you sit in a hot bath, or if not in a bath, then you should feel yourself start sweating as you drink.

Hope this helps. (07/17/2007)

By Tony

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I have been having sinus headaches, too. I deal with them by using spraying saline solution up my nose - I also use sinus remedies with pseudo-ephedrine + ibuprofen or Tylenol (there are lots of different ones.)
Be careful of using the drying meds too much, as they can dry the nasal tissues and create counter-irritation! Plus heating pads to relieve tension/pressure & help it drain. I also love my new/used neck massager with heart for the tension in my neck muscles. I take lots of extra vitamin C & Wellness formula to help my immune system.

Gargling with hot salt water (as hot as you can stand it) several times a day &/or hydrogen peroxide helps the sore throat. Also throat drips (I like Ricola) and drink lots of hot tea with lemon & honey! (07/17/2007)

By pamphyila

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

This attack is from a particularly virulent cold virus. Since it's a virus it HAS to run its own course. The medical community has NO anti-virals to give for this critter, and 3+ weeks is about average for this one. The damage this virus causes can leave you susceptible to a follow-on bacterial infection. You cant afford to get a second infection, bacterial, as your body is already taxed trying to kill off the cold virus. Amoxicillin is the pill of choice here, but it's only to counter secondary infection possibilities. Your body fights the virus and the amoxicillin fights any bacteria. You'll have to wait out the 3 weeks since this battle will be strictly between your body and that virus. The doctor can't stop the virus side of this.
If you ask your doctor to prescribe something for the sinus headaches, some of you may want to request Tylenol-1. There are 2 reasons for this: First, it contains a very small bit of codeine which will actually stop the headache (as opposed to the other OTC options) and secondly, codeine, even in small amounts, is the medicine of choice to kill the persistent dry cough that follows this bout..
(10/23/2007)

By louiswap

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

FYI - remember if it's VIRAL antibiotics won't WORK and will just make the bugs stronger and your immune system weaker! Better to take things for your immune system: B vitamins, C, plus Goldenseal or homeopathic remedies like Oscillo - There are also Chinese anti-virals...Then treat the symptoms.

Gargling with HOT salt water and/or 1/2 & 1/2 diluted hydrogen peroxide and water is to kill the germs in your throat. Do it OFTEN. Use pain deadening Cepacol lozenges, etc. if you have to. Otherwise use throat drops. Keep your throat moist. I also like Singer's Saving Grace throat spray, available at health food stores.

Relieve sinus pressure with external heat (like a heating pad) - it should help it drain and take pain relievers. Use steam to clear sinuses, too. I use a facial steamer - or put your head over a hot cup of steaming tea. Eat soups (preferably chicken) with vinegar and add cayenne, to make a poor person's hot and sour soup. (Cayenne also helps the immune system). Flu bugs hate heat - so take hot baths and keep yourself warm.

Clean your keyboards/phones etc with alcohol to avoid catching bugs or passing them on. (Apparently they can stay on a phone for 2 hours!) Use alcohol-based hand cleaner often and/or Wash your hands frequently. Don't go into work sick and pass the bugs around. Get a lot of rest.

Yes, there are a lot of bugs passing through the community which are not noted in the media. I think because there is so little the medical establishment can do. Remember, as with disasters, we seem to be on our own here - so take care of your health! (10/23/2007)

By pamphyila

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

It doesn't work all the time but you can distinguish between a viral cold and a bacterial cold be looking at your symptoms. Bacterial infection causes more swelling to your gland and throat and more importantly you get (FEVER) with bacterial infections. i say it doesn't work sometimes because sometimes you don't get a fever.

It's important to know what you have because then you can avoid using antibiotics if its a viral infection. Antibiotics are a danger if not used properly so avoid them but if you have bacterial infection then you must use it BUT ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure you finish the whole thing because people usually feel great after finishing two thirds of the antibiotic and neglect finishing the rest.

If you have viral infection then unfortunately you have to sit it through, ibuprofen is the best thing to use; its exactly like paracetamol but it also reduces swelling which is why you throat/ear hurt, however don't overuse it because like all other medicines they destroy your stomach lining and possibly your liver.

To maximize the effect of your pills try eating anything before you eat the pill and drown them with a glass full of water, it accelerate the pills dissolving in your stomach. also usually pills require about 30 minutes for it to kick in, and after about 4 hours the effect dies out slowly, so use you home remedies in these periods: before the medicine kicks in after its half life (10/25/2007)

By Q80thug

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

MY MD FOUND RELIEF FOR THIS - but unfortunately it is not for kids - sorry - I'm a Mom too.
AVELOX. this is either the "super bug" or a very similar strain, I was on amoxicillan 1000 mg 3 times daily, but the "disease" was spreading. I had an ear infection, something he said is extremely rare in adults, my tonsil on the right side was hanging down my throat, lymph nodes were too tender and huge to even touch.

He put this vibrating metal tool at the top of my head and asked me where I felt the vibration. I stated - the right side only, because that's where you placed it. He laughed and said, no - directly in the middle - this doesn't mean anything to you, but a lot for me.

AVELOX is what he prescribed. 400 mg once daily. Within the first day, I felt tremendous relief and now after 2 days, I feel 90 per cent again. I just woke up and the "fog has lifted".

He also recommended ear drops (which I couldn't afford).
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE. GOD SPEED FOR RECOVERY and with this, I pray my 5 year old daughter doesn't catch this. I've read in the papers such awful things this does to our little ones, including permanent hearing loss to death. They have to get something for the kids and FAST! (11/11/2007)

By MonicaS

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Hi! Yesterday, I could hardly swallow and my ears were starting to ache. Our company doctor prescribed Klaricid (Clarithromycin) 250 mg to be take twice daily (this is to be taken for 1 week). I have also been taking Bisolvon Mucolytic (adult) because of my nasal drip (which I think caused the swollen throat). And for those who really have swollen throats, try gargling Bactidol (Hexetidine) by Pfizer. I gargled this every hour (and it worked!).

The latter helped ease my throat last night (and I was able to sleep well after 4 days of no sleep because of my nasal drip and sore throat). (11/22/2007)

By Manila

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Hi
My daughter got sick with these same symptoms about 6 weeks ago. She is still battling it . After a few days I started the symptoms. We both got diagnosed with severe ear infection and were put on antibiotics. It helped for the beginning but it keeps on coming back. I am in week 5 and last night I was up most of the night because my throat, gums and ear were hurting so badly. I normally do everything naturally and refuse meds but this time I tried it all and it seems like we just can't kick this. I wish recovery to all of you (11/25/2007)

By minnesota

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Day #24 Im working on anitiotic #4. Blood work up showed viral infection & bacterial infection. Viral is getting better bacterial is not. Ear, throat & neck ache with fever off & on. Seen 2 different doctors had 3 shots, 4 different antibiotics, and antihist/decog although no sneezing or coughing. I was tested twice for mono & came back negative both times. (11/26/2007)

By Lene

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Has anyone tried using Tea Tree Oil? It says to put a few drops on a cloth and breathe it in or put some in a pan on the stove, bring it to a light steam and inhale it. I dab a drop inside my nostrils and it really clears my sinus and sinus headache. I'm not sure that straight use is recommended but it sure stopped my upcoming cold. I have been using this daily.
It also says that you can treat ear infection with a few drops mixed with warm olive oil dropped into your ear. You can read about it's many uses on teatreewonders.com. There are lots of websites that you can read about it. I didn't see this mentioned yet so I hope it would be helpful to someone. (11/26/2007)

By Joycer

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I have been having the same problems as most of the people in this discussion. Mine started with a severe sore throat that moved to the point of having pain on the left side of my face with some discomfort in the left ear. Its hard to swallow at times. I still do have my tonsils and have noticed they are enlarged. A couple of home remedies I have tried include:(along with result)

1. Warm water-Honey-Teaspoon of salt mixed together-drink slowly=relieved the pain for a short period of time, but I didnt like the salt mixed with honey taste.

2. Drinking cold milk to sort of numb the area=about 5 minutes of numbness, then it starts to hurt again

3. Cayenne pepper(1/2 teaspoon) mixed with warm water & gargled=relieved pain for short time, but pain still came back. Only do this if you are used to spice, otherwise your mouth will feel like its on fire.

4. Chicken Soup Broth-Chinese Tea-Wonton Soup=relieves pain for short period of time, but still comes back.

5. Tylenol Sore Throat liquid with instant cool burst=this seems to be working the best. After I drink this, I get about 4 good hours of straight relief.

6. Excedrin=take with tylenol help even more

7. Chloreseptic spray=provides relief for about 10-15 minutes.

8. Gargle Listerine Mouth Wash=5 minutes of relief.

9. Vicks Nose Spray=worsens drip, I woke up with a taste of vicks in my throat that was horrible.

10. Afrin nose spray=helps keep nasal passages clean with very little after taste from a drip.

Seems like you just have to tuff it out and take it easy for as long as it takes to heal. All in all the Tylenol Sore Throat Liquid drink taken with 2 excedrin pills is working best. I got it at wal-mart for $4.00 by the cough medicine. Good luck. (11/27/2007)

By johnnymixxxx

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

SO...........after posting my last comment last night, I woke up this morning and made up my own home remedy which is amazingly working to the point I almost have no syptoms at all, and they cleared up within 3 hours. Heres what I did when I woke up this morning:

1. Took A Long Hot Shower Letting The Hot Water Hit The Back Of My Neck And Left Side Of My Face Where The Ear Pain Was.

2. Brushed My Teeth Normally And Gargled Listerine Normally.

3. Took More Tylenol Sore Throat Liquid Along With 2 Excedrin Extra Strength Tablets.

4. Made Hot Tea Mixed With 1 Full Spoon Of Honey. The Tea I Drank Was A Combo Called Orange Pekoe & Pekoe Cut Black. (I DRANK THIS MIX RIGHT AFTER TAKING THE LIQUID TYLENOL)

5. Had 1 Canned Lite Fruit Cocktail.

within 1 hour my ear ache pain went away.
within 2 hours I was able to start swallowing with little or no pain.
within 3 hours my throat is still a little sore and clogged, but I am able to smell better, swallow liquids without pain and am completely alert.

Im thinking the combo of the tylenol followed by the tea mixed with honey did the trick. The tea was purchased at Aldi's so it should be easy to find.

The fruit cocktail had Vitamin C and gave me a little pep to move around the house.

Like I said though, my throat is still a little sore, but I am able to swallow much easier now and its been easier to talk to people with little or no pain.

I was doing more research and had learned that you shouldnt drink milk or take cough drops cause of the sugars that will make mucus.

Hope This Helps! Good Luck!
I'm feeling so much better today! I might even go out and do some x-mas shopping!-----lol, yeah right :) (11/27/2007)

By johnnymixxxx

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

If you are only having swelling on one side of your throat, and the ear on the corresponding side as the swelling hurts, chances are you have an abscess inside your tonsil. I was afflicted with this for a long time and i didn't know what was wrong. I could hardly swallow my spit or talk (I sounded so bad, one of the nurses actually thought i was deaf or something), i became dehydrated and my head hurt so bad i couldn't sleep at night. Well, I finally found a doctor who knew what the problem was (before that they kept telling me it was viral and i just had to wait it out), and we had the abscess drained that night. I was back to normal in a day, however, I will have to have my tonsils out sometime within the year. Good luck and I hope this helps. (12/16/2007)

By Bill

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Hey, it's me back for an update. I had extremely sore throat on the right side that seemed to be spreading to my ear. I could barely swallow or talk. However, I searched the internet and diagnosed myself with tonsillitis, which CAN spread to the ear. I started treating it as such and when I woke up this morning, I felt pretty darn great considering just two days ago I thought I was probably going to die. My throat don't hurt, ear popped and doesn't hurt anymore and all that's left is a little sinus drain. All it took was ALEVE which apparently settled the inflammation in my tonsils which brought down the swelling and allowed my ear to drain thus, relieving the pressure that was causing the pain. I was also drinking chammomile tea, taking vitamin c and using a himidifier at night, but I'm pretty positive it was the Aleve. I hope all of you try it and it works because I wouldn't wish what I had on anyone. Good luck. (01/05/2008)

By Stephanie

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Ditto everyone! :D Except it's toward my left side instead of my right. This may seem like strep throat but it isn't. It's a sinus infection. Went to a walk-in clinic about two hours ago (Urgent Care some people call it) and they said I have a sinus infection. It's been going around. Go to the doctors and get the meds. Gurgle salt water or Listerine like crazy and swallow some spoonfuls of honey. :) (01/09/2008)

By Annie

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Hey guys, I ran across this page when I was having the same problem a few days ago. Terrible sore throat with an ear ache on the same side. When ever I swallowed I felt massive pain from my right tonsil to my right ear. I remembered that I had some problems with ear wax blocking my ear canal a few days earlier, so I guessed that might have something to do with it.

The solution I came up with was to treat it like an ear infection and (b)put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide and water in my ear(/b) (mostly hydrogen peroxide, like 2:1). I let that stuff bubble for a few minutes, and it took a while to drain because I obviously had a lot of wax blocking stuff up in there. Almost instantly my ear (i)and(/i) throat felt a lot better! I repeated the process a couple more times at night, and by the next day I was fine!

Hope that helped guys! (01/18/2008)

By Ben

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I had the same thing this morning. I got the sore throat to go away suck on sucrets for the throat pain. Then make soup using these ingredients and I was good for 4 hours, maybe it's just me, but it did work.
1 can of chicken broth
teaspoon of better than bollion
onions
celery
garlic powder
parsley flakes
salt
and noodles (any kind of noodles might work)
This is what I used to get rid of it. I am okay now it's been 4 hours. Hopefully this will help. FEEL BETTER
(01/19/2008)

By ur favorite post

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I've had this same stuff for almost a week now. The only thing I have found to take the edge off of the pain (ear, throat, head & muscle) is Alka-Seltzer Plus cold medicine -- the tablets you dissolve in water. Not especially tasty, but it has REALLY helped me; hope it helps others. This bug is really wicked! (01/21/2008)

By sheck

Instant relief

This definitely sucks. Ive got the same symptomsias everyone. My gurl had a stuffy nose and minor sore throat and I made the mistake of kissing her, just a peck. The next day is was congested and had a sore throat. I didn't really think too much of it cuz she healed up in like 3 days. Anyways, the sore throat got way worse. Finally I went to the doctor and he put me on Biaxin, an antibiotic- so far it hasn't really done anything.

Instant Relief- I noticed my tonsils were really swollen and had white spots on them. I did some research and found out the white spots were dead white blood cells and dead bacteria. A tool known as a SinuPulse Elite Throat Irrigater Tip can be used to remove these white spots. By removing the dead bacteria from the tonsils it allows more white blood cells to circulate and fight off the infection. I'm too cheap to by the special tool, so I used a Popsicle stick and scraped the white spots off my tonsils. It didn't really hurt its just hard to reach all the way back there. I was spitting up blood for about 2 minutes, but after that it felt like the swelling of my throat had went down severely. I highly recommend this to anyone that can see white spots on their tonsils. It was nasty to see the blood, but it was gone in no time, didn't hurt, and made my sore throat feel 2x better. (01/21/2008)

By Thomas

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Try getting some over the counter earache drops. Irrigate your ear and put some of the drops in. It feels a lot better. (02/01/2008)

By Brandy

Archive: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I'm fighting a sinus

infection and just got an antibiotic from the doctor, but it hasn't kicked in yet. So I have

a very severe sore throat and ear ache. Any tips to ease the pain for these? I've tried

gargling with salt water, honey, and Chloraseptic, but it still hurts.

Peggygv

Feedback:

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I had something similar and I tried a lemon with a little salt for my throat. For my ear I

dampened a small towel and placed in the microwave for 15 seconds and placed it against my

ear. Both helped with the pain. (02/15/2008)

By Patricia

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

My throat was hurting so bad, I couldn't swallow. The pain was on the side of my neck

radiating up my ears. It started as a scratchy throat, then I had post nasal drip that

irritated the back of my throat. Yellow discharge and sometimes with a tinge of blood started

coming out when I coughed. Green tea as warm as you can tolerate relieved the pain. I also

took a shower and had the hot water hit the back of my throat. Then I warmed up a glass of

water with 1 teaspoon of salt and gargled with it. For the pain and swelling I took 400 mg of

Ibuprofen and 425 mg of Tylenol for my fever. After a few hours I ate a slice of ice cream

cake and drank a glass of ice cold water. My doctor prescribed liquid lidocaine for me to

gargle if I cannot eat or swallow, but I haven't used that yet. Before I go to bed, I will

warm up an aroma therapy pillow and put it around my neck. (02/23/2008)

By Vangie

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

For the relief of a sore throat chew gum. I read this on an internet site some time ago and it

works a treat. It keeps your throat moist and helps you cope with the soreness. (03/03/2008)

By Sheila B.

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

So here's what worked for me (but these may not be readily available in the everyday pantry):
Ginseng powder (~1/2 tsp) + quarter-sized rock sugar (I'm sure honey would work, but I didn't

have any at the time) + 1 cup hot water. Stir. Drink. Instant relief - no joke.

If you don't know where to find this stuff, it's at any local Asian market (ask for the

Korean ginseng powder specially ground for tea). It's like echinacea and zinc on steroids.

Good luck and sore throat be gone, already.
(04/01/2008)

By kpw

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I am dealing with the same thing. I haven't been able to sleep. I got about two and a half

hours of sleep total last night because the pain kept waking me. The best thing I've found so

far for my throat was to drink a cup of hot peppermint tea with some honey it. The peppermint

also settles your stomach if you have a sinus drip that is upsetting it. Also, I have these

drops called Cepacol. They are sore throat drop with benzocaine and menthol in them to numb

your throat.

When I wake up at night I drink my cup of tea and then have a Cepacol and I can usually

fall back asleep for a while. I've also been keeping up on taking Aleve for the pain. I hope

that helps.

LeAnn (04/11/2008)

By LeAnn

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Go to Whole Foods and get a remedy (little sugar pellets) called belladona it helps a lot with

ear ache. Another one is called Ferrum Phos 6X helps with both ear and throat and fever.
Take as described on bottle. (06/07/2008)

By DeeDee

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I found that Thera Flu for sore throat really worked well. Give it a try. (10/04/2008)

By Mi Mi

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Jello seems to give me temp relief, when I want something to drink and can't sleep.

(11/18/2008)

By Another Sore Throat

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Try a Neti pot. Google it. Vermont Country Store sells it. (12/04/2008)

By kibby

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I have the same symptoms, severe ear ache and sore throat. I think smoking is part of my

problem. But my doctor prescribed Claritin for me and it has been working pretty good. You too

can try it, it is over the counter medicine so you don't need a prescription. (12/07/2008)

By Brian

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

If you don't have insurance try the minute clinic at CVS. Only $59 for a complete diagnosis and

they will write a prescription if needed. I've had mine for 3 weeks and starting to take

azithromycin. Hope it works. (12/28/2008)

By chucksmech

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Hi guys, I live in Spain, and all the papers have been full about the viral flu with all the

symptoms you are all describing. I finally got it myself, and was told to take Ibuprofen for

the pain (1200 mg per day minimum split into 3 times, sometimes more), a cough medication with

codeine and ear drops. The Ibuprofen allows me to take the pain and hardly notice it, so

that's a relief. They also told me to have freshly made chicken broth as there seems to be a

similarity with it and the virus itself. Also sage tea for the cough. Vitamins C and D. Lots

of liquids. Sleep. (01/23/2009)

By Suze

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I had the same thing for over three months and antibiotics were not helping. The doctor

finally told me to try using garlic. I ate 5 cloves of garlic every night and washed it down

with a large glass of water. The taste was horrible, but it only took four days for the pain

to go away completely and after the seventh I was cured. (02/02/2009)

By MikeR.

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I've had a sore throat and ear ache, and I just drank some hot water with honey and lemon. You

have to drink it as hot as you can take it. Hope to you that it works.
(02/04/2009)

By Michelle

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I too have suffered from the sore throat and ear ache syndrome. I read a lot of the posts and

when I got to the one about stomach acid, bingo. I put two and two together and sure enough

the two nights before the pain really hit I had heartburn before I went to bed. I bought the

Prilosec OTC 14 day treatment and it is working. I still have a tinge of the ear issue, but I

am sure that is because it hurt so darn bad with the acid backing up in my throat. Before you

go to the doctor I would spend the 10 bucks on Prilosec OTC and see it that helps. Good luck.

(07/24/2009)

By <a href="http://www.thriftyfun.com//profile/index.lasso?

profile=thr565150">Grannysgiftstore

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I suffer from tonsils and fever during winter and my remedy works for me.

• Take 1 lemon cut in 4 pieces.
  • Take a good size fresh ginger.
  • Take 3 cloves fresh garlic.
  • Add 2 cups of water put all in pan and let it boil till it comes to 1/2 a cup.
  • Add a tablespoon of honey and sip about 3 or 4 times a day.
(09/26/2009)

By Dorty

RE: Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Gargling with freshly squeezed lemon juice does help. Ginger tea also helps. (09/26/2009)

By Dorty

ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A doctor examining a child with a sore throat.
Sore Throat Remedies
hot tea
Remedies for a Burned Throat
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 8:16:03 AM on 10.0.0.72 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings