Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I'm fighting a sinus infection and just got an antibiotic from the doctor but it hasn't kicked in yet. So I have a very severe sore throat and ear ache. Any tips to ease the pain for these? I've tried gargling with salt water, honey and chloraseptic but it still hurts.

peggygv

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I always have bad allergies and constantly have to fight off sinus infections. When I do get them, I use a Netty Pot with a couple of drops of vinegar in the solution. Actually, I use the squirt bottle kind because it seems to get up in there better. I really am not a fan of using antibiotics unless I really have to since it seems to exacerbate sinus problems for me. There are other strong, temporary allergy things out there that your doctor can give you for a sinus infection that won't throw off the microbial balance in your body, usually a type of steroid. Not to mention that a sinus infection is caused by fungus, not by bacteria.

Before I resort to prescriptions, I try to drink a ton of water, cut off all caffeines and sodas, and drink as much fresh ginger root tea as I can stand. Ginger is an anti inflammatory. If you really just don't like ginger, try a zinc supplement as an inflammatory. Pseudophed and claritin are also a great help just to get the junk out, and I use a prescription of nasonex all the time as a preventative measure. I have found one of the most helpful cures, besides being well hydrated, is "popping" my ears. My doctor taught me this. You close your throat, close your mouth, plug your nose, and sort of "blow" gently so that an air bubble travels up your eustachian tubes. You have to be careful with this when you're ears are already swollen, but the added pressure of the air should help press fluid down your tubes and out where it can drain. I can never do it if I'm lying down, and it also doesn't drain as well in this position. Then you can yawn to open up your tubes, or to give it a little more wallop, chew a piece of gum. I try to pop my ears everyday whether I have an infection or not just to keep the works clear.

As for just pain, I'd use ibuprofen.

I hope this helps.

Edit: My bad. A sinus infection can be caused by either bacteria or fungus. But I still say antibiotics are an absolute last resort.

I'm going on holiday in two days time and have a sore throat and ear ache. I looked on this site and great feedback from people I have drank my ginger tea with honey in it and poured sweet oil in my ear recommended from people on here and it seems to have eased it a lot. I'm also taking the advice of 2 garlic cloves and 500mils water. Good job. I'm not socializing tomorrow! Pain killers, which I'm not looking forward to but will keep you updated.

Answer

I'm fighting a sinus

infection and just got an antibiotic from the doctor, but it hasn't kicked in yet. So I have

a very severe sore throat and ear ache. Any tips to ease the pain for these? I've tried

gargling with salt water, honey, and Chloraseptic, but it still hurts.

Peggygv

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I had something similar and I tried a lemon with a little salt for my throat. For my ear I

dampened a small towel and placed in the microwave for 15 seconds and placed it against my

ear. Both helped with the pain. (02/15/2008)

By Patricia

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

My throat was hurting so bad, I couldn't swallow. The pain was on the side of my neck

radiating up my ears. It started as a scratchy throat, then I had post nasal drip that

irritated the back of my throat. Yellow discharge and sometimes with a tinge of blood started

coming out when I coughed. Green tea as warm as you can tolerate relieved the pain. I also

took a shower and had the hot water hit the back of my throat. Then I warmed up a glass of

water with 1 teaspoon of salt and gargled with it. For the pain and swelling I took 400 mg of

Ibuprofen and 425 mg of Tylenol for my fever. After a few hours I ate a slice of ice cream

cake and drank a glass of ice cold water. My doctor prescribed liquid lidocaine for me to

gargle if I cannot eat or swallow, but I haven't used that yet. Before I go to bed, I will

warm up an aroma therapy pillow and put it around my neck. (02/23/2008)

By Vangie

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

For the relief of a sore throat chew gum. I read this on an internet site some time ago and it

works a treat. It keeps your throat moist and helps you cope with the soreness. (03/03/2008)

By Sheila B.

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

So here's what worked for me (but these may not be readily available in the everyday pantry):
Ginseng powder (~1/2 tsp) + quarter-sized rock sugar (I'm sure honey would work, but I didn't

have any at the time) + 1 cup hot water. Stir. Drink. Instant relief - no joke.

If you don't know where to find this stuff, it's at any local Asian market (ask for the

Korean ginseng powder specially ground for tea). It's like echinacea and zinc on steroids.

Good luck and sore throat be gone, already.
(04/01/2008)

By kpw

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I am dealing with the same thing. I haven't been able to sleep. I got about two and a half

hours of sleep total last night because the pain kept waking me. The best thing I've found so

far for my throat was to drink a cup of hot peppermint tea with some honey it. The peppermint

also settles your stomach if you have a sinus drip that is upsetting it. Also, I have these

drops called Cepacol. They are sore throat drop with benzocaine and menthol in them to numb

your throat.

When I wake up at night I drink my cup of tea and then have a Cepacol and I can usually

fall back asleep for a while. I've also been keeping up on taking Aleve for the pain. I hope

that helps.

LeAnn (04/11/2008)

By LeAnn

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Go to Whole Foods and get a remedy (little sugar pellets) called belladona it helps a lot with

ear ache. Another one is called Ferrum Phos 6X helps with both ear and throat and fever.
Take as described on bottle. (06/07/2008)

By DeeDee

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I found that Thera Flu for sore throat really worked well. Give it a try. (10/04/2008)

By Mi Mi

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Jello seems to give me temp relief, when I want something to drink and can't sleep.

(11/18/2008)

By Another Sore Throat

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Try a Neti pot. Google it. Vermont Country Store sells it. (12/04/2008)

By kibby

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I have the same symptoms, severe ear ache and sore throat. I think smoking is part of my

problem. But my doctor prescribed Claritin for me and it has been working pretty good. You too

can try it, it is over the counter medicine so you don't need a prescription. (12/07/2008)

By Brian

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

If you don't have insurance try the minute clinic at CVS. Only $59 for a complete diagnosis and

they will write a prescription if needed. I've had mine for 3 weeks and starting to take

azithromycin. Hope it works. (12/28/2008)

By chucksmech

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Hi guys, I live in Spain, and all the papers have been full about the viral flu with all the

symptoms you are all describing. I finally got it myself, and was told to take Ibuprofen for

the pain (1200 mg per day minimum split into 3 times, sometimes more), a cough medication with

codeine and ear drops. The Ibuprofen allows me to take the pain and hardly notice it, so

that's a relief. They also told me to have freshly made chicken broth as there seems to be a

similarity with it and the virus itself. Also sage tea for the cough. Vitamins C and D. Lots

of liquids. Sleep. (01/23/2009)

By Suze

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I had the same thing for over three months and antibiotics were not helping. The doctor

finally told me to try using garlic. I ate 5 cloves of garlic every night and washed it down

with a large glass of water. The taste was horrible, but it only took four days for the pain

to go away completely and after the seventh I was cured. (02/02/2009)

By MikeR.

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I've had a sore throat and ear ache, and I just drank some hot water with honey and lemon. You

have to drink it as hot as you can take it. Hope to you that it works.
(02/04/2009)

By Michelle

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I too have suffered from the sore throat and ear ache syndrome. I read a lot of the posts and

when I got to the one about stomach acid, bingo. I put two and two together and sure enough

the two nights before the pain really hit I had heartburn before I went to bed. I bought the

Prilosec OTC 14 day treatment and it is working. I still have a tinge of the ear issue, but I

am sure that is because it hurt so darn bad with the acid backing up in my throat. Before you

go to the doctor I would spend the 10 bucks on Prilosec OTC and see it that helps. Good luck.

(07/24/2009)

By <a href="http://www.thriftyfun.com//profile/index.lasso?

profile=thr565150">Grannysgiftstore

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I suffer from tonsils and fever during winter and my remedy works for me.

• Take 1 lemon cut in 4 pieces.
  • Take a good size fresh ginger.
  • Take 3 cloves fresh garlic.
  • Add 2 cups of water put all in pan and let it boil till it comes to 1/2 a cup.
  • Add a tablespoon of honey and sip about 3 or 4 times a day.
(09/26/2009)

By Dorty

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

Gargling with freshly squeezed lemon juice does help. Ginger tea also helps. (09/26/2009)

By Dorty

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
A doctor examining a child with a sore throat.
Sore Throat Remedies
hot tea
Remedies for a Burned Throat
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 12, 2016 at 5:54:57 AM on 10.0.0.53 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.