Browsing: Dealing With a Sore Throat and an Ear Ache

Sore Throat and Ear Ache

I'm fighting a sinus infection and just got an antibiotic from the doctor but it hasn't kicked in yet. So I have a very severe sore throat and ear ache. Any tips to ease the pain for these? I've tried gargling with salt water, honey and chloraseptic but it still hurts.

peggygv

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I always have bad allergies and constantly have to fight off sinus infections. When I do get them, I use a Netty Pot with a couple of drops of vinegar in the solution. Actually, I use the squirt bottle kind because it seems to get up in there better.

I really am not a fan of using antibiotics unless I really have to since it seems to exacerbate sinus problems for me. There are other strong, temporary allergy things out there that your doctor can give you for a sinus infection that won't throw off the microbial balance in your body, usually a type of steroid. Not to mention that a sinus infection is caused by fungus, not by bacteria.

Before I resort to prescriptions, I try to drink a ton of water, cut off all caffeines and sodas, and drink as much fresh ginger root tea as I can stand. Ginger is an anti inflammatory. If you really just don't like ginger, try a zinc supplement as an inflammatory.

Pseudophed and claritin are also a great help just to get the junk out, and I use a prescription of nasonex all the time as a preventative measure.

I have found one of the most helpful cures, besides being well hydrated, is "popping" my ears. My doctor taught me this. You close your throat, close your mouth, plug your nose, and sort of "blow" gently so that an air bubble travels up your eustachian tubes. You have to be careful with this when you're ears are already swollen, but the added pressure of the air should help press fluid down your tubes and out where it can drain. I can never do it if I'm lying down, and it also doesn't drain as well in this position. Then you can yawn to open up your tubes, or to give it a little more wallop, chew a piece of gum. I try to pop my ears everyday whether I have an infection or not just to keep the works clear.

As for just pain, I'd use ibuprofen. I hope this helps.

Edit: My bad. A sinus infection can be caused by either bacteria or fungus. But I still say antibiotics are an absolute last resort.

I'm going on holiday in two days time and have a sore throat and ear ache. I looked on this site and great feedback from people I have drank my ginger tea with honey in it and poured sweet oil in my ear recommended from people on here and it seems to have eased it a lot. I'm also taking the advice of 2 garlic cloves and 500mils water. Good job. I'm not socializing tomorrow! Pain killers, which I'm not looking forward to but will keep you updated.

Man holding ear and neck in pain
Dealing With a Sore Throat and an Ear Ache
Health & Beauty Home RemediesMarch 26, 2005
A doctor examining a child with a sore throat.
Sore Throat Remedies
hot tea
Remedies for a Burned Throat
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 25, 2016 at 12:05:34 PM on 10.0.0.96 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.