Saving On GasCars

Fill Up Gas Tank Before Weekend

Category Saving On Gas

Always fill up your gas tank on Thursdays because they always hike up the prices on Fridays for the weekend because that is when most people travel.

I have seen similar tips that reference different days of the week to purchase gas. The best way to spot patterns is to keep a small notebook in your glove box. Keep track of the prices at the gas stations that you drive by regularly and see if you can determine a pattern.

You also can keep track of your fill up patterns and gas mileage in the same notebook.

By Mary

I have heard that you get more gas per gallon when the weather is cool. Don't know what the difference is when gassing up during the hottest part of the day. This more gas and cool weather thing might refer to winter weather conditions.

Gasoline expands to a gas (fumes) in heat. Therefore, you get more liquid in cool weather.

there are apps and news station website buttons that compare gas prices daily, a good way to track prices. Where I live, commuting is the major usage of gas, so it would not hold true that prices rise in response to weekend demand. Some people commute two hours each way in heavy traffic where I am. Since I work at home, I don't track these trends at all, though.

I go to www.gasbuddy.com to check gas prices in my area. It's easy - just put in your zip code and all the stations' prices will be listed. The only drawback is that the listings are not in real time. Some may be hours or days old, depending on when the price was last posted.

I don't know where you live but here the price of gas goes up everyday. You can go to work in the morning and come home in the afternoon and the price has gone up. Here your best bet is to get it in the mornings.

My husband drives a gas tanker. The oil prices go up or down every day, not on any particular day. The gas prices do not come down at the tank unless the oil price drops significantly.

Also, to find if the prices are up or down, look at the stock market. It tells you every day what is going on with oil prices.

As far as getting more gas in cooler weather, that's false. You don't pump fumes in hotter weather, thus getting less gas. The temps in ground are regulated and the tanks are vented!