Plugs Don't Stay in Outlets

My outlets don't grab any two prong devices like for my Apple laptop. They just fall right out. Any suggestions? Do I need to replace the outlets or is there something I can do to still use the outlets? Thanks for the help!

I don't want to sound simplistic, but have you tried squeezing (bending) the prongs together so they are less parallel and closer at the end that enters the wall? That is really the only solution I've ever tried because it has worked well enough for me.

You could try to either apply light pressure to push the prongs together or apart.

What I usually do is just squeeze the prongs inward just a little; this allows for a firmer grip.

Best advice-REPLACE THEM. Receptacles wear out like anything else. Working for an electrical distributor I can tell you there are different grades of recepts. If it is one that you are going to be plugging into and unplugging a lot, like where you plug in portable devices, get a better grade. Squeezing the prongs to get better contact is not a good idea as you are lessening the contact area with the recept which creates more heat which in turn shortens the life of the recept and in very bad cases can cause a fire. In these times we all try to save money with shotcuts but we should spend what is necessary when it comes to doing things safely. It you aren't comfortable doping it yourself, get an electrician, it is money well spent.

I am with the other guy on replacing them. My boyfriend and I tackled this type of project when he bought a new house and I was amazed at how simple it can be to do DIY. Turn off the power at the breaker/ fuse box, use some tape to lable the things you disconnect, and have some patience. OLD PLUGS ARE NOT WORTH THE LOSS OF YOUR HOME! And the supplies are so very inexpensive too! You can have a whole house done in one day!

Are the plugs set in correctly. Prong on top & ground hole on bottom? Mine are in upside down & a lot of the plugs won't stay in.

Plug Outlet
Getting Plugs to Stay in Outlets
Home and Garden Repair Home ElectricalNovember 20, 2008
Electrical Outlet
Removing Paint From Electrical Outlets
Electrical Outlet
Adding More Electrical Outlets to an Old Fuse Box
Electrical Outlet
Adding a New Electrical Outlet
McDonalds McRib
Copycat McDonalds Recipes
🎄