Oatmeal Instead of Cold Cereal

Save money by serving oatmeal for breakfast instead of expensive cold cereal. The store brands of oatmeal are excellent and are on sale often. It is fast and easy to prepare in your microwave. I have had great success in lowering my cholesterol by eating oatmeal.

By Bobbie from Rockwall, TX

Hi Bobbie, I love oatmeal especially during our long, cold midwest winters! I have found recipes to make your own little packets of instant oatmeal on www.budget101.com.

Great choice. For the past couple years our preferred cereal went from Oatmeal to steamed Hulled Oats. We found excellent information by Diane Mirkin on Dr. Mirkin's website. Very easily done. We purchase organic hulled oats from the natural foods store and steam them for about 55+- minutes using our electric steamer. We consider them to be the gourmet of the 'Oat' :-) Many times I make a large quantitiy in advance and store them in the fridge or freezer.

If you like the instant oatmeal packets but want to save some $, You can buy the canister of "quick oats", any brand. Just pour it into a bowl, add water or milk & microwave for 1 minute. Usually add a little more water than you think you need so the oatmeal isn't too thick. If you want to flavor the oatmeal it is easy to add some brown sugar or maple syrup to the quick oats, yum. There are other flavorings that could be added: jam/jelly, cinnamon, small dried fruit, mashed banana, chunks of apple, etc.

My Dad eats Oatmeal cold and not the instant or 3 minute kind. He adds milk and raisans or dried cherries or whatever. He is going organic. I haven't tried it because of a health issue but he says it is good. Bet it makes a good roughage.

I buy oatmeal as well. I use brown sugar and cinnamon to falvor it. It holds the kids over longer than cereal and is alot cheaper and cooks in about 3 minutes.

We buy the quick oats for baking and "quick" hot cereal. My little boys eat them with applesauce and cinnamon sugar (Oatmeal apple pie) I try bananas, but won't do it! I like just brown sugar. We bought the 5 minute rolled oats, but couldn't get through them fast enough, so we made granola bars!

I've been eating it raw/dry, just like cold cereal for years and love it. I sometimes add fresh fruit but not always. Sliced strawberries, blueberries and bananas are all good choice. I never add any sugar. I also sometimes add cold milk, or plain yogurt. I don't feel like I've had breakfast if I haven't had my raw oats. Cholesterol lowered and it keeps your "innards' functioning beautifully (a classic problem for many of my family members).