Rose Bushes With Brown Leaves

Question:

I have 4 rose bushes and I'm having trouble with brown leaves. Most of the leaves are green but, then I find on every bush some brown with white power looking stuff. The new growth the leaves are a yellow/green color. I live in AZ. Could it also be the heat? Also, every summer my front yard has 1 brown spot, what is this from?

Hardiness Zone: 9b

Gepe from Queen Creek, AZ

Answer:

Gepe,

The powdery white coating on your roses' leaves sounds like powdery mildew. This is a common disease of roses that attacks the buds, causing deformed blooms and eventually weakening the plant. The mildew initially forms on young leaves and then spreads to older leaves and buds. You'll need to remove the affected leaves immediately and start a program consisting of weekly sprayings of sulfur or a 50/50 mix of milk and water.

The brown spot in your yard could be something similar to Spring Dead Spot. This is a crown, root and stolen rot of dormant grass caused by a fungus. Affected lawns recover slowly over the course of the summer, but if left untreated, the disease will develop the following spring in the same spot, growing slightly larger every year. A fungus moving in means that area in your lawn is unhealthy. Aerate the area to encourage the growth of healthy bacteria, followed by reseeding the area. If you use fertilizer, you may be using too much. If the problem persists, try applying a fungicide made especially for Brown Patch or Spring Dead Spot in the late summer or early fall when the fungus is most active.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

I am not sure what the issue is, but I know what you are going through. My husbands rose bush did the same thing the middle of this summer. Now its fine. Its even getting ready to bloom for the second time this year. We didn't do anything to it, just scraped off what we could of the white stuff and watered like normal.

OK I'M STILL LEARNING ABOUT THEM BUT FROM WHAT I HAVE READ THEY DO NOT LIKE THE HEAT OR VERY HUMID CONDITIONS.WHEN THEY ARE TURNING THE COLOR YOU DESCRIBE IT COULD BE THAT YOU ARE WATERING THEM TOO MUCH,AND THEY COULD HAVE A LITTLE BUG.TRY TO CUT BACK ON THE WATER AND GO GET SOME PESTICIDE FOR YOUR ROSES.YOU CAN ALSO FIND A BOOK AT WALMART CALLED HOW TO FOR ROSES.

Home and Garden Gardening RosesAugust 26, 2006
Rose Bush
Rose Bush Never Blooms
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
Rose Bushes
Treating Black Spots on Rose Bushes
Pruning a rose bush.
Pruning Rose Bushes
🎄