Training a Dog to Ring the Bell

When you get a new puppy, tie a string to your back door (or whatever door you want the puppy to use) with a bell attached. Every time you take the puppy outside to potty, tap the bell and say "outside".

Eventually, when your puppy needs to go outside, he will tap the bell with his nose or paw, and wait to be let outside. This really works! Puppies, if you can convince your human to try this, you will have quicker access to the facilities, and you'll both be much happier!

By Kay from Storm Lake, IA

This really does work. This spring I potty trained my 9 wk old GSD in 2 days using this method. Wish my kids and grandkids had been so easy to train!

I know this works for some dogs. But not all! I have driven myself nuts ringing the bell to go out and yes I was diligent about doing it every time! For over a year! That said, it's certainly a great idea when it works. Just don't expect every dog to catch on.