My Mom's Meatloaf

This meatloaf recipe has an unusual ingredient in it - applesauce. You cannot taste it, but the applesauce keeps the meatloaf moist. This recipe makes great meatloaf sandwiches.

• 1 cup green and/or red peppers, chopped fine
  • 1/2 cup onions, chopped fine
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 3/4 - 1 cup dry oatmeal
  • 2 lb. meatloaf mix or lean ground beef or turkey
  • 1 - 2 Tbsp. horseradish (optional)
  • Tabasco sauce, to taste (optional)

Optional Topping:

• 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. horseradish
  • 2 Tbsp. horseradish or regular mustard
  • 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a jelly-roll pan with foil for easy clean-up. Spray with vegetable spray or grease slightly.

Cook or partially cook vegetables in microwave, cool. This is a my personal preference.

Combine all but ground meat. Let stand for about 5 minutes so the oatmeal can absorb the flavors. Add meat; mix gently.

Place meatloaf mixture on pan. Shape gently but firmly into a loaf shape.

Bake for one hour or until internal temperature is 155 degrees F Let rest 15 minutes before slicing.

Whisk together optional topping ingredients. Top meatloaf and the sides with one-half of mix before baking. Top with remaining mix ten minutes before meatloaf is done.

I usually double the recipe and make two meatloaves and bake them side by side in the pan.

You can top the meatloaf with slices of bacon before baking.

Recently I have been using my small food processor to make a thick paste out of the cooked vegetables and then mix in the applesauce, egg, and spices. I add this to the oatmeal; allowing it to stand for five minutes. Gently mix in the ground meat. My family prefers it this way now.

Servings: 8
Time:20-30 Minutes Preparation Time
1 Hours Cooking Time

By Mike from NE PA / USA

This sounds enough like my mom's recipe to be something she'd cook, so of course, you know I have to make it. It sounds so good. Mom always put applesauce in meatloaf and in her hamloaf as well. Both were delicious.

Thank you for sharing your recipe.

cooked meatloaf
Meatloaf Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes MeatloafFebruary 18, 2011
Grilled Meat Loaf
Grilled Meat Loaf Recipes
Meat Loaf
Apple Meat Loaf Recipes
Mexican Meatloaf
Mexican Meatloaf Recipes
Turkey Meatloaf
Turkey Meatloaf Recipes