Chicken and Portobello Mushroom Sauté

I'm usually a pretty sorry cook, but tonight I was inspired, and I have made something we are both truly enthusiastic about.

This recipe can be varied with other meats, mushrooms and vegetables, even other cheeses and sauces/spices, but this is what I used tonight, and it tasted great! I'm going to try it again and tweek it to taste even better.

Ingredients

• 1 Tsp no-salt butter
  • 1/8 cup water
  • 1 portabello mushroom per person
  • 1 tsp. Harry and David Rosemary and Thyme sauce (more for the bigger mushrooms)
  • enough sliced and shredded chicken to do a fair job of covering the mushroom
  • chicken skin from the back of a large whole chicken
  • home grown sweet peas
  • medium American cheese
  • olive oil to taste

Directions

Gently saute' mushrooms in butter, water and chicken skin in a lidded pan on the stove. Steam vegetables in a lidded pot in olive oil. When mushrooms are half cooked, turn over and saute' the other side. When the whole mushroom is nearly done, place top down if not already in that position and spread sauce over mushroom gills and stem. Layer chicken on top of sauce. Layer vegetables on top of chicken (or the other way around, it doesn't matter which order). Turn off the stove and lay a slice of cheese on top and let it melt with the pan lid on

Spatula onto a plate, add a side of extra veggies and enjoy!

A variation I want to try is to slice everything up and cook it together. It might be even better.

This is a fairly low salt meal. Both of us have to eat as little salt as possible, so I'm forced to find new recipes. The cheese is 80mg per 1/4 inch, I cut it really thin so it's much less sodium. There was about an ounce or two of chicken, no salt in much of anything else except for the sauce, which has 180 mgs of sodium per 2 Tbs, and I used just a tsp. so this meal I'd estimate to be around 100 mgs of sodium. not bad for a single meal, though it was a small one. We used the smaller portabellos. which also makes it great for dieting.

Source: Threw this one together with what was available at home. Might be a comparable one at a restaurant, we don't eat out that much.

By Nekocat from Oregon

Food and Recipes Recipes Main DishesDecember 4, 2009
Making Mushroom Powder
Making Mushroom Powder
Chicken a la King in puff pastry shell
Chicken A' La King Recipes
Portabello Mushroom Recipes
Portobello Mushroom Recipes
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume
🎉
🎄