Use Heating Pad When Letting Dough Rise

contest winner icon

Whether it is summer or winter, when I am trying to get a yeast dough to rise, I place a heating pad on low underneath the pan of dough. Cover with plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray and place a kitchen towel on top to keep the warmth inside. Doing it this way ensures the dough will rise every time and I don't have to wonder if the air is too cold without the heating pad "help".

By LisaE from WI

This is a great idea. I usually set my bowl of dough on top of the clothes dryer to rise but I'm not always doing laundry when I want to bake bread! I'll certainly try this next time.

A word of caution using a heating pad. The pad even on low may be too warm for the yeast and kill it prematurely. Using a heavy towel or a cookie rack under the pan will give the bread pan a buffer against the high heat.

I think as well one must be careful even with the setting on low ... too high of a heat can kill the yeast. Also don't leave unattended (electrical appliance).

Instead of using heating pad, I cover mine with clean dish towel and put in oven. Preheat at lowest setting and then cut off and keep the light on.

Baking ingredients on a wood bread board.
Baking Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips BreadJune 22, 2011
Rising Dough
Getting Dough to Rise
Electric Heating Pad
Uses for an Electric Heating Pad
Rollong pin on round of pizza dough.
Biscuit Pizza Dough Recipes
Wood Burning Stove
Heating with Wood