Gas Tips

Here are some great tips on saving money on gasoline. I received this morning and thought I would pass these tips along. Gas is over $3.00 a gallon here. Some of these tips are new to me.

• Adjust Your AC: Stuck in slow-moving traffic? Roll down the windows to save fuel. Coasting down the highway? Turn on the AC with the windows up to prevent wind resistance, says Steve Magnante, host of DIY Network's Classic Car Restoration.
  • Don't Be Idle: Is your car always humming while you wait for your pal during your daily carpool? "If you'll be waiting for more than 30 seconds, turn the car off so you don't waste gas," says Ronnie Kweller of the Alliance to Save Energy.
  • Stick With the Speed Limit: Speed demons beware, every five miles per hour over 60 is like paying an extra 20 cents per gallon, according to Kweller.
  • Change Clogged Filters: Engines mix air and fuel together, which means a dirty or clogged air filter requires your motor to use more gas, says Jack MacDonald, director of training and development for Pep Boys. Check your manual for guidelines.
  • Test Tire Pressure Monthly: "Having your tires inflated to the proper air pressure can improve your gas mileage by more than three percent," says Melissa Montisano, general marketing manager for Goodyear. Translation: a sweet $2 savings at the pump!
  • End Fuel-ishness: Don't buy a higher octane gas than you need, advises Jamie Kitman of Automobile magazine. "Your owner's manual will tell you whether your car will run just fine on regular gas." Then, close your gas cap tightly to prevent leaks!
  • Be a Smart Topper: Instead of piling your luggage and camping equipment in a big square box on the roof of your car, use an aerodynamic car-top carrier (try roofbag.com, $49 and up). The wedge shape reduces wind resistance, which maximizes efficiency.
  • Time Your Station Stops: "Fluids expand when they're hot and contract when cold, so you might get a few ounces of extra fuel by getting gas at night when it's chillier," explains Magnante.
  • Ad

• Drive With Discretion: Not only are aggressive driving habits unsafe, but they also waste valuable fuel. Avoid rapid acceleration, jackrabbit starts and hard braking, which can cut your highway mileage by up to 33 percent, according to Kweller.
  • Left Foot Liftoff: Tend to rest your left foot on the brake pedal while driving? You could be wasting fuel. "Riding" the brake pedal causes mechanical drag since you're creating slight friction at the corner of each wheel while moving forward.

Source: I received these in an email from Quick and Simple. Hope they will also save you some money.

By Bobbie from Rockwall

Thanks for these tips. A couple of the details are new to me.

I think the thriftiest way to drive is Very Carefully. They used to call it defensive driving - drive as if everyone else out there is crazy. Accidents are expensive.

Ignore the tire pressure sticker on the car and pump up the tires to maximum pressures as listed on the tire sidewall. You will realize MPG gains from reduced rolling resistance, as well as the additional benefits of less hydroplaning and extended tire life in exchange for a slightly harsher ride.

The exceptions are top heavy truck based SUV's and full size vans. Stick to the vehicle sticker recommendations to minimize roll-over hazards.

I drove this week being mindful of trying to conserve gasoline. I turned my car off at the bank while I was waiting, used the windows instead of the ac while driving in the city, and I was much less aggressive. It has made a difference. I typically fill up every week or week and a half and so far this week, I've only used 1/4 of a tank. I typically get about 27 mpg, so I'm looking forward to seeing how I did at the end of this tank.

Photo of someone pumping gas.
Saving Money on Gas
Consumer Advice Cars Saving On GasApril 7, 2008
Woman at Gas Station
Gas Station Tips and Tricks
Gas Log Fireplace
Gas Log Tips
Buying Gas
Buying Gas Jokes
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
🎄