ClosetOrganizing

Ideas for Organizing Storage on Closet Shelves

What are some cheap storage ideas I can use for my closet? As you can see in the picture, I have 2 large shelves (they measure 48in long by 19in high by 14in deep).

I want to use bins, preferably black, but if I got as many as I need (6) I would be spending ~$50.00!

Any other ideas? I'm going to be moving all of those books to a bookshelf adjacent to the shelves and I'm going to be moving all my linens and miscellaneous stuff to the shelves.

By Jennie from Tempe, AZ

Get Free New Priority Boxes from the Post office, all the same size, glue on fabric (black, or a pattern of colors) You can use old table cloths or even sheets!Almost Free! They work great! Good Luck!

As Missy MM suggested use cardboard boxes and cover them. I see some electric cords hanging there to. If you fold them up you can store them in toilet paper tube that you can decorate too. Put labels on the boxes and tubes to make it easier to identify the contents.

A lot of times you can find clothes baskets on sale for very little, maybe even in a dollar store. The same applies to what is called "milk crates."

Store your book on their back covers with the spines visible; they take up less space; you get more in the space; and you can still read what you have.

You can use decorative boxes to store small things in. These range from large pretty boxes left over from Xmas presents to ones found at the thrift store, or vintage milk crates, even orphan drawers from demolished dressers. I am collecting inexpensive thrift shop baskets to help me organize things. So many are given away! But the prices vary tremendously, so buy yours at a shop where they are inexpensive! & you can also think about dollar store clear plastic bins, etc. Although they don't tend to be very large. The next time I go to a Payless, I am going to ask for a whole slew of shoe boxes, because they, too, are great for storage. (& I recycled some Topsider boxes that aer very decorative, as well.) P.S., you can also use small pieces of luggage (they used to be called vanity or train cases). If you can find a good deal on them - they have become trendy! It may take a while to collect all these, but you will save lots of $$$.

<3 the idea @ the post office boxes - gonna try that.

There are hanging baskets that clip onto the shelf above. I have seen them at Big Lots and Home DEpot. Don't get the ones with plastic clips, the plastic breaks.

I use storage file boxes purchased at an office supply store. When they're on sale, you can get them for about a dollar each in packages of 4-6. I also use ream paper boxes covered with fabric (My adult daughter's Barbie dolls are in them. My grand children play with them when they come to visit. All Barbie's have the same fabric so the kids immediately know which ones to pull out.)

Go check out the Dollar Store. They may have some suitable bins or baskets. Right now all the stores seem to have storage supplies on sale so check out every place you can think of, even the home improvement centers like Lowe's and Home Depot.