MiscellaneousCrafts

Making a Purse Out of a Gift Bag

I'm thinking of making a tote bag/purse out of an old gift bag, but I'm not sure if it will be strong enough to hold all of my stuff. Any other suggestions for purse material or how to make a gift bag stronger? I just don't want to have to sew or buy a new bag. Thanks!

Tauni

cover the bag with clear contact paper - that will help to reinforce it, as well as make it resistant to water damage.

If you can reinforce the area where the handles attach - inside and out - it will hold up better to your stuff.

I agree with Queen Bee. Clear contact paper or even heavyweight clear packing tape would help immensely.

I would also second changing the handles or reinforcing them. That would be the weakest point of the bag.

I would also add a small bit of cardboard or chipboard to the bottom of the bag for reinforcement down there. It will also help just in case something leaks.

And when that goes - you could cut the decorative parts & sew the panels on a plain totebag! Unless you carry around very little stuff, I am afraid the bag won't last long - but if you are careful, maybe thru the summer!

Maybe try lining it thoroughly with duct tape from top to bottom.