Browsing: Making a Water Feature

Easy and Frugal Pond

Hello, here is a simple easy way to add a water feature to your yard. It's easy, my sons did it by themselves. At the end of summer they decided to make their wading pool into a pond. This can also be done with any small pool, water proof container, anything that holds water. They filled their old pool with water, got some water and bog plants from a friend.

After the water had equalized a few days we added fish. We used goldfish feeders, they don't need a pump for air. Actually the fish can live off the plant roots which also supply extra air to the water and keep the water clear. It becomes a bio-environment.

You can camoflage the sides of the pool with plants in pots, with rocks, pieces of wood. Good plants are hyacinth which float on top and bloom a lot in the sun. Some plants that are considered bog plants or like wet roots can be placed on bricks in pots so they won't be totally submerged.

My boys even added frogs and crawfish they caught at a local park. We've redone our pond several times over the past 10 years, we still use a childs pool, it literally takes care of itself, adds beauty and interest to the yard and garden and costs virtually nothing using plants we had and were given. And reusing the old pools the kids used during the summer.

You don't need to treat the water, because the plants and fish take care of that. The only real cost are the fish which we have to replace because the frogs don't live on bugs alone. My boys are in their late teens now and plan on redoing the pond this summer, making it larger but keeping it a self contained bio-environment. That way we don't have to replace filters like our friends who have pond.

This pond is very cost effective. Just to get the facts straight, my boys had the idea 10 odd years ago when I said we couldn't afford a pond. They showed me how to do it frugally and it has brought us years of pleasure. Not to mention people are amazed at how simple it can be. Hope you try this and enjoy it as much as we have.

By Theresa

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

What a wonderful idea. I was wondering what happens in winter with the all the little critters that are added to the 'pond'?

As an added bonus the frogs will eat garden pests saving on the sprays and poisons you could use! On the point of pond 'critters in winter' - as long as the pond doesn't freeze over they will be fine. Fish are 'cold blooded' so just slow down a bit and frogs will hibernate under rocks, etc. The main problem would be very hot summers when a shallow pond could heat up, 'cooking' the fish. It must be deep enough for the fish to go to lower, cooler depths and not in continuous full sun if you have high temperatures.

Regards

Jo

That is a wonderful idea. But actually the fish do not live off the roots of the plants. Most fish are carnivorous, at least partially. Please, feed your fish. I get very upset when I see Betta sold with a plant on top. People are told they do not have to feed them. Well, they are true carnivors. And they should also use a larger area of water. Be kind and always, if you are going to have a pet, even a little dime store feeder fish, feed them and clean them

Water Feature
Making a Water Feature
Home and Garden Gardening Ponds and Rockery Pond TipsJune 8, 2004
Garden Pond
Building a Garden Pond
Backyard Pond
Controlling Grass in a Backyard Pond
Controlling Algae in a Pond
Controlling Algae in a Pond
Beautiful Swan
Decorating a Pond for a Wedding
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 9:40:24 AM on 10.0.2.28 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.