Leashes for Cats

What do you use to tether you cats outside? I tried using a cat collar and leash and Grayce won't move. She just stares at the leash. She loves to go outside.

Barbara from Trenton, TN

Cat collars usually have elastic on them, so the cat can safely slip out of it in case it gets caught on something. Look for a regular harness-style or one that looks like an "8" where one loop goes around then neck and the other around the chest, and you hook the where the loops cross. Cats will not be able to slip out of these as easily. Be aware that if you tie your cat outside with one of these, you MUST stay out with it, or it'll be a target for any dog or animal that may want to kill it.

The cat will not like it at first, and will resent you for putting it on him. Usually after a while, it will get used to the harness, and the draw of going outside will win over. Be patient.

Cats hate to be tethered. Why would you tether her? If she is a house cat, she doesn't need to go outside, which is really best for her, anyway. If she is an outdoor cat, let her be.

We travel alot and use a harness and leash on our cat. Whenever we pull over for a rest, we walk her on the lease or stake her out to do her business. She doesn't mind it at all. Everyone at the camp grounds think we are nuts, but you can't let them loose.

Thank you for your answers. I will get Grayce a harness. She loves to go outside. Thank you susanmaip. I would never leave her outside unattended. Thanks everyone!

The truth is, if a cat wants off a leash they can get off. Cats do not have sholders like a dog. They can slip out of anything as small as their head. Anything smaller than that can choke them. You rarely see cat harnesses for sale with the other cat products in a vet store. (not pet store). I have travelled with cats. When we stopped we opened a disposable littler box in the car and left them alone. That is when they ate and drank. The important part is making sure they cannot get out when we open the door to get back in. Then we put them back in the carrier and are on our way.

I've only known 1 cat who would walk on a leash. His name was Studless (for obvious reasons) and he would just walk like a dog. Cats can wiggle out of harnesses (or at least all cats I've known) so most people don't even try to tether them.

I used a dog harness for mine. The figure 8 harness did not work for my daughter's cat, he jerked leash out of her hand, sailed over the fence like Superman and when he came home 2 days later, he was not wearing either

Pets CatsAugust 18, 2006
A white cat sitting on a couch.
Preventing a Cat from Peeing Everywhere
Dealing With Stray Cats
Dealing With Stray Cats
A blue nylon dog leash
Organizing Dog Leashes
Cats in the Attic
Cats in the Attic
🎄