Brewing Coffee Without a Coffee Maker

My coffee machine is broken. Is there another way I can brew my fresh coffee grounds?

By Barbara

Best Answer

I read the following information on a website:

Do you have a clean pair of old pantyhose stockings that you can no longer wear? Cut off one of the legs and then pour your fresh coffee grounds in the leg. Tie a knot in the end. Boil a pot of water, and then put the stocking into the water and let it steep for a while like you would a tea bag, until it is strong enough to your liking. If the information on the website is right, you will have some fresh coffee. This is a temporary remedy until you can buy another coffee maker.

Best Answer

You can put coffee in a filter and pour boiling water through it.

Best Answer

You could also make "hobo coffee" by simply boiling the fresh grounds in a sauce pan until you get the strength of coffee you like, then either filter it (see above) or just carefully pour out the coffee leaving most of the grinds in the pan. (In the Middle East they have finely ground coffee that they make this way in special little pots.)

Is your broken coffeemaker a drip machine? If so, put the filter & coffee in the basket as usual.

Sit the basket over the glass carafe and pour boiling water through it. You'll have to do it slowly so the basket won't over fill. If it's one of those makers that allowed you to pull the pot out while the coffee was making, this won't work. You might need to use a large strainer instead of the coffee basket. This is the way I make coffee when the power goes out, I boil the water on my gas grill.

When I was young (I am 73) we used to put the coffee grounds in a pot on the stove and add water. It was then brought to a boil to the desired strength and then poured through a strainer.

Living in Oklahoma the lights go out frequently during bad weather. And when they do I use a campstove perculator to brew our coffee. I have a gas stove & it is no problem to light the burner with a match. I have also used our campstove and the charcoal grill to make coffee. A camp perculator can be found fairly cheap at any store that sells camping equipment.

If you have a metal funnel like a canning funnel, you should be able to line it with a paper filter, place it in your coffee carafe from the old coffeemaker(without the lid), fill with grounds and pour boiling water through the coffee until you have a pot. MCW has a good idea as well.

Making coffee on the stove is as pamphyila said. My folks made it that way for years. Add a dash of salt to the coffee to cut down the bitter taste. I still add that pinch of salt and most of the time just a dash of cinnamon. My father -in -law and I built a small rock firepit with a chimney in their back yard. He had a grate over the front and he'd make boiled coffee ( with an egg shell in it) in a big enameled coffee pot and we 'd sit under the stars talking in the summer evenings.

Coffee never tasted so good! GG Vi

The key to making coffee on the stove is to add the coffee grounds when the water is boiling and then to immediately turn off the heat. This way the grounds steep while settling to the bottom of the pot. If you keep the heat on, the grounds stay suspended and you have to filter it.

Make camping coffee! put coffee grounds in filters and tie with rubber bands or twist ties. boil in a pot to your liking and your done. you need a couple of these in a medium size pot (2 or 3) depending on how strong you like it. Enjoy!

cup of coffee
Making Coffee Without a Coffee Maker
Food and Recipes Food Tips BeveragesJune 29, 2011
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Coffee Maker
Other Uses for a Coffee Maker
Using Reusable Kuerig Pods
Using Reusable Kuerig Pods
Homemade yogurt in jars.
Using an EasiYo Yogurt Maker
🎉
🎄