Marsha's Banana-Walnut Tea Bread

This is a very rich and delicious tea bread. So much flavor locked into every bite and it's about as easy to make as anything can be. Whether eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner or a bedtime snack, this tea bread will let you know just how much "somebody loves you". Try it out on your father or your sweetheart. They are not likely to forget it.

This tea bread was made, remade, and made over several times during the years my three daughters were learning to cook and bake. Many days, it was our afternoon "Tea Party" main course.

• 6 large very ripe bananas (I want them to be all black if possible)
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup butter (2 sticks melted in microwave and cooled)
  • 3 large eggs, well-beaten
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup walnuts,very finely chopped (almost like corn meal)
  • 2 tsp. baking soda (add to flour)
  • 1 tsp. baking powder (add to flour)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt (add to flour)
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (sift after measuring)

Note: Always use the ripest bananas possible. They will provide the most flavor to your breads or cakes.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour two loaf pans.

Peel and mash bananas in a large mixing bowl. Add applesauce and stir. Add sugars and mix well. Add cooled melted butter and beaten eggs. Add vanilla and blend everything together. Add walnuts and stir them in well.

Measure flour into sifter and add baking soda, baking powder, and salt; sift into a medium bowl. Fold flour into wet mixture being careful not to over-mix. You just want all the flour to be moistened. Do not beat.

Pour into prepared pans and place in preheated oven. These loaves will take about 1 hour to bake. Test with a thin wooden skewer after 55 minutes and every 5 minutes thereafter until thoroughly done. I had to put aluminum foil over the tops of my breads as they were getting very brown (which we like incidentally) after 50 minutes. Almost every oven is slightly different, so I always check for myself to insure the best quality of anything I bake. They were nice and deliciously done after 65 minutes though. The aroma summoned everyone to the kitchen.

Allow to rest in pans for about 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.

Servings: 16
Time:20 Minutes Preparation Time
60 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: My youngest daughter who (with lots of help from us all), must have worn out about a dozen tea-sets over the years. She deserves the biggest Blue Ribbon of all.

By Pookarina from Boca Raton, FL

Marsha's Banana-Walnut Tea Bread

It's really not fair to put the pictures of such a delicious looking and delicious sounding recipe. It makes everyone who sees it just that much hungrier at our house, then I have to get up and go and bake something, Pookarina.

This Banana Walnut Tea Bread looks so scrumptious though that now I can't wait for it to get done. I'm licking the spoon while I wait. LOL

Thank you for a big Thumb's UP recipe.

StarWarsCollector

I agree with the StarWarsCollector. Seeing the picture this morning prompted me to head back for the kitchen and use up the last bananas to make these beautiful Banana Tea Bread. We just called

them quick breads when I was growing up, but I like your name for them better. They really do make for a wonderful "tea party" afternoon.

I think I'm becoming your biggest fan. Ha-Ha.

Thank you Pookarina.

MisMachado

This is a fantastic looking Banana Bread. My friend told me to come and look at it, so here I am

drooling all over my keyboard again. What a yummy treat you've cooked up Pookarina.

Thank you for the recipe and thanks to your little daughter too. She must be a great baker now.

A definite "thumb's up".

ww

Beautiful Banana Bread, Pookarina. I can almost smell it from here it looks so good. Did you take this picture as well as bake the bread? Wow!

Thanks for another great recipe.

Thumbs Up to Marsha! :-)

Lee

Size pan?

Hi Snowbells,

Unless specified as pullman or mini loaf pans, you may assume the pan size to be a standard which

is anywhere from 8"x4"x 3" to 9" x 3 1/2"x 3". Your loaves may come out slightly taller or not quite as tall, but you'll find them to weigh about the same. Since all ovens bake with slight differences in temperature, you'll have to pay close attention to the time it takes your loaves to bake.

Once you know that, be sure to jot that "time" down on your recipe for the next time you need to know it.

Wishing you the best,

Pookarina

I made your Banana Walnut Tea Bread over the weekend hoping to have one loaf to put in tbe freezer. Needless to say, that was wishful thinking. Next time, I'm just going to make 4 loaves and pop two of them into the freezer before anyone knows I have them. That's the only way I'm going to have one for breakfast in the mornings. They turned out so nice although mine weren't quite as brown as yours. I think my oven may be a little bit off, so I'm going to buy one of those thermometers that stays in the oven. I'm very happy with this recipe Pookarina. Thank you so much.

Songwriter

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Breads QuickJuly 2, 2010
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
Moldy bread.
Preventing Mold on Bread
Recipes Using Stale Bread, Slice of Bread on Cutting Board
Recipes Using Stale Bread
Sliced banana bread on a cutting board.
Freezing Banana Bread
🎄
🍂