Keeping Snow Peas Off the Ground

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can keep my snow peas off the ground in my garden?

By Sharon49 from PA

Best Answer

To keep regular peas (probably would work with snow peas) off the ground in our garden we line the row on both sides with wooden stakes and tie several rows of twine around them, that keeps them off the ground and gives them something to climb.

Best Answer

We used posts and chicken wire approx 6' high and when they reached that height I'd prune the tips and got more lateral branching.

When I grow peas, and they are just ready to cling to the fence, I move them with clean hands, so they are close to, or against the fence I want them to grow on. I am very gentle, and it works every time. The peas then grow up the fencing.

I read someplace years and years ago that the English take small branches and stick them in the ground around the pea plants. I have a lot of trimmings and I've been doing it for years and it works really well and supports the Peas, sweet peas, snow peas and sugar snap peas without looking like a trellis it blends into the landscape much better.

Thank you for all your quick responses. This was my "first" post ever on a site. I hope I can be of some help to others sometime.