A+D Ointment for Dry Feet

I suffer from dry, cracked heels. I have tried many lotions and creams to soften and moisturize my feet over the years. When my mother-in-law suggested A+D Ointment for my daughter's dry lips, I had an "Ah Ha" moment and tried it on my heels after my shower. By the next day they were noticeably softer! Two months later, they are even softer and definitely not dry. Thanks, Mom!

By BlueJean from Hubbard Lake, MI

Thanks for that hint. I have the same problem.

Also a good tip to get rid of dry, cracked feet is those acne pads like Clearasil pads. Rub them on your feet every night.

I have the same problem. For many years, my heels were very badly split and would sometimes bleed. I read up on the internet, that the problem is caused by the sweat glands in you feet not working, often due to spending too much time on your feet, and/or being overweight - there are other causes, but these are the most common.

For me, one *positive* side effect, was that my socks didn't stink. The sweat glands product sweat and oil that keep the skin moist. When the skin dries out, the old skin doesn't shed, and pulls apart the new skin underneath.

About once, twice a week, after a sauna (or you can soak your feet in a foot bath/bowl), I scrape my heels with an old pair of scissors - I guess a blunt-ish knife will also work. This removes the old dead skin.

I also now wear socks & slippers in the house (I just used to wear socks) - these keeps my feet warm & sweaty. This keeps the skin moist, as it should be.

Now, the skin on my heels is still rough, but I haven't had any splits, cracks or other sores for a long time. Apart from the slippers (a couple of pairs of socks would do), you do not need to buy creams, lotions, potions, or sacrifice a potato at midnight. Given a chance, your body will heal itself.

Another great thing to use for dry heels is the Heel of Approval Cracked Heal Treatment by True Blue Spa from Bath & Body Works. I swear by this thing and have recommended it to many who love it as well! It was $15 and now I see online it's $20 but I'm telling you it's totally worth it. Just another option to try.

dry heel on foot
Home Remedies for Dry or Cracked Feet
Health & Beauty Beauty Body FeetMarch 5, 2009