Do Training Collars Really Work?

Do training collars really work?

Cathy from MD

If you mean shock collars, yes they do work -- but only under the supervision of (and with the advice from) a professional trainer who knows how to use them.

What is the behavior you are trying to correct?

I have a husky who at times I was embarrassed to take to the dog park because she would terrorize the little dogs at the park. Not to be mean but they ran fast and she liked to chase them. Unfortunately when she caught up to them they ended up looking like she rolled them down a hill lol. As she would grab their collars.

I got a collar that both beeps and shocks. I have never ever used the shock part. She learned from the beep part. IN fact we very rarely use it now. All she has to see is the remote to it keep it in my pocket even if she doesn't have the collar on and she's so conditioned that she learned.

Remember dogs hearing is more sensitive then ours so it was an uncomfortable feeling. So I say yes the to beep ones. I don't like the thought of electrically shocking her. But if it worked on her believe me, lol, it should help with most dogs

I swear by a Halti, also known as a Gentle Leader. Available at P{etco, Petsmart, etc

Shock collars are so barbaric. why not go to a Dog obedience class and do it the gentle way and the right way

We have a shock collar & have only had to beep him! Just having it on him, he knows he needs to stay near us. We live in the country, but on a main road. He's a hound & will follow his nose. He's learning very quickly by the beeps alone.

I felt guilty at first, thinking of shocking my poor pup, but now that we haven't had to, I'm happy that I can keep my pup safe when we go out in the woods, etc.

Pets Dogs Training AdviceMarch 31, 2008
Boxer puppy chewing on a plastic bone.
Training a Boxer Puppy
Nice light blue dress shirt.
Making Shirt Collars Last Longer
Setting Up a Carpool to Work, Man Getting in Work Car Pool
Setting Up a Carpool to Work
agility training for your dog
Agility Training for Your Dog