"Restful" Paint Color

What is a good (restful) color to paint a bedroom?

Ellen Wagner from Taft,CA

Showing: Answers Sort

By metroplex 82 416 Flag

Hi Ellen! I've always thought that a pale bluish color like in the aqua family is very soothing. Something like ocean colors.

I also think pale greens, like a pale sage green is calming. However, I did lose the 'paint battle' with my husband and now our walls are painted taupe. Boring and bland. Good luck! Smoochie :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By joan pecsek 88 545 Flag

Pales peaches and pinks are restful

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Carol 2 4 Flag

Most blues and greens are peaceful colors--unless you go into neons and electric colors(obviously)! Keep your colors soft for maximum effect. Check out the following websites for color symbolism:

desktoppub.about.com/cs/color/a/symbolism.htm

http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-meaning.html

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

According to Behr.com, cool colors are key (blue, lavender, green). "Psychologically, these colors are calming, evoking deep-seated feelings of peace and tranquility".

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I painted my bedroom a light blue with cream accents. It is my favorite place in the house. A real relaxing get away!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I just painted my bedroom "Relaxing Green" by Behr and it is wonderfully relaxing. I painted the trim in Magnolia Blossom" and it turned out beautifully. I removed my desk and tv out of my bedroom and added a loveseat. It's so relaxing, I feel like I'm staying at a Bed and Breakfast Inn. It does help that all three of my kids are away at college:-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By cathy 6 Flag

Blue and green are restful colors. They dont promote alot of high energy unless you get into the more intense shades of these colors. Lavender is also a peaceful color but one that is definitely feminine. Consider colors such as blue/gray or blue/green. In choosing colors that look either or you can change the entire look of the room by changing out a few accessories.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

First off, if it is for a couples' bedroom, I'd stay away from the more feminine colours. Then, find what calms you. If it is a meadow, use light muted greens. If it is the ocean, use light blues. I would advise to only using one colour. Use trim sparingly, and stay away from stark whites. Try buttercreme, ivory, or very faded yellows. Keep furniture to a minimum, free of clutter, and simple. The same goes for bedding. Busy patterns or intricate details makes the mind work taking in all the detail, and does not promote relaxation. Keeping the room a few degrees cooler also works. Not cold, but cool in the summer, and not hot but not as warm as the other rooms in the winter. Just a few degrees. Too hot or cold will make you concentrate on your being uncomfortable, not relaxing.

Do try to get a small aquarium, the bubbles and the motion of the fish are also calming. Another trick, get a 'white noise' machine (rain, ocean waves, whales, etc). You can get a CD of the same things (much cheaper). Just be sure if you do get the CD, that it is only the thing you are looking for (the rain, or whale song) and not music included. I got a wonderful rainstorm CD at the dollar store. One more thing: Make it a rule that when you go into this room a stress free room. No stressful activities here, no worrying, arguments, or anything that doesn't promote calm, tranquil moods. Some people find that hanging a wall picture of something calming works, bit I find that it detracts. (my personal opinion)

I hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Linda 28 Flag

Blue is considered a calming, relaxing color. It is a good choice to use in bedrooms or bathrooms....

Green is considered to be one of the most restful colors; combining the relaxation of blue with the cheerfulness of yellow. This color is ideal for any room in the house...

http://www....thehouseandhomemagazi ... ColorConundrum/tabid/70/Default.aspx

The colors of 2007/2008 turn over a new leaf encompassing the natural, the ethereal, the homespun and the restful...

http://www.valsparatlowes.com/explo ... -trend/Nuances%20Color%20Trends.html

...for a peaceful, restful atmosphere, quiet, muted colors (see The Creative Power of the Color Wheel feature) are generally the best choice....

http://www.behr.com/behrx/inspiration/emotional_7.jsp

Select paint colors that will help achieve the desired sensory effect in each room of your home...

http://www.choosing-paint-colors-made-easy.com/color-psychology.html

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceSeptember 18, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Green paint on a brick wall.
Cleaning Paint from Brick
Iron Framed Bed
Fixing a Squeaky Bed
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 9:52:49 PM on 10.0.1.8 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings