To Peel or Not to Peel Green Peppers?

I have noted that chefs on TV food shows sometimes peel green Bell peppers. Could someone comment on why this is done?

What the chefs are doing is roasting the peppers to intensify the flavor of the pepper and implart a smokeyness to the pepper meat. The peeling of the skin is a side effect.

Some folks peel the peppers to get rid of the skin because some peppers have tough skins which would interfer with other flavors in the dish. Kind of an astetic thing if you ask me. And everyone thinks you are a gourmet if you roast your own peppers too (another side effect, LOL!)

Warmest Wishes,

Denise

I read once, in a seniors citizens cookbook, that if peppers are waxed they usually have a fungicide below the wax. It was suggested they be peeled to avoid eating the fungicide (and wax, I suppose). Sorry, I don't remember the actual name of the cookbook- it was many years ago.

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceJuly 28, 2004
Freezing Bell Peppers, Canning Bell Peppers, Peeling Bell Peppers, Drying Bell Peppers, Storing Bell Peppers, Growing Bell Peppers, Selecting Good Bell Peppers, Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers
Peeling Bell Peppers
Freezing Hot Peppers
Freezing Hot Peppers
Selecting Good Bell Peppers
Storing Bell Peppers
🎄