Browsing: Whitening Your Teeth

Does Baking Soda Damage Tooth Enamel?

Does baking soda damage tooth enamel?

By Billy from Detroit, MI

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

I have been a dental hygienist for 39 years and I have many patients that are using a toothpaste with baking soda. Tooth paste with baking soda is high on the market now and has been ADA approved. However, if you start feeling any sensitivity, stop using it awhile and then maybe only brush with it several times a week.

Best Answer

I don't think it does. I have been using Arm and Hammer Complete Care tooth paste on the advise of my dentist for many years with no bad effects. Baking soda is the leading ingredient in Arm and Hammer toorh paste.

Best Answer

Three of my grandparents brushed their teeth nearly their entire lives with a good old fashioned baking soda paste made with water. One never used a toothbrush but rather his finger. Two passed away in their 70's and the other passed away in her 90's. All passed away with no enamel or tooth decay and all still had all of their teeth.

Too vigorous brushing or too hard of toothbrush bristles will cause much more damage than a baking soda paste.

People used to use baking soda instead of tooth paste all the time. In fact I have heard of dentists recommending it at various times. I imagine it's like everything else there will be pros and cons.

My only worry would be the abrasiveness of it. The toothpastes with it are formulated to be less abrasive; but I really don't know about baking soda itself. Hopefully someone can tell us if it is too abrasive to use straight every time.

Yes, tooth enamel will wear off when using baking soda, making the teeth very sensitive and vulnerable to cavities. Thus, chronic use of baking soda can cause permanent damage to the teeth, and can even damage the tooth's surface,don't use it every day,good luck.

I grew up using baking soda to brush my teeth. Even now, I occasionally use it to whiten my teeth and remove tea and coffee stains.

Brushing with too much pressure or with a brush that is anything but SOFT will wear away tooth enamel. Baking soda usually won't do any damage, but if you have thin tooth enamel to start with, use a hard bristle toothbrush, and a lot of pressure, you'll probably end up with problems.

September 7, 2012 Flag

Will half of a teaspoon of water and baking soda work for your teeth? Will it wear off the enamel on your teeth?

By Veanna

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use Arm and Hammer toothpaste that has the baking soda included in the product. I don't know what the side effects are if you used too much baking soda but you could call Arm and Hammer at 1-800-786-5135 or e-mail them at www.myordcare.com and see if they can answer your question.

Some times I add some baking soda to the toothpaste but haven't had any problems.

You can make a paste of baking soda and water and dip your toothbrush into it and brush your teeth. Baking soda is not abrasive enough to remove enamel from your teeth. It is fine to use at every brushing.

What works even better is just dampening your brush and dipping it into some loose baking soda in palm of your hand. You may find it a little gritty at first, but persevere and you will see results. This would be instead of your tooth paste.

If you wanted a rinse for your teeth and mouth, baking soda dissolved in very warm water and use as a rinse and gargle works good too. This is infinitely less expensive and does a great job especially over time but it will only remove so much staining.

You will be fine. I swish with a tiny bit of peroxide (main ingredient in whitening strips and paste) and dip my brush in baking soda afterwards. GREAT results.

March 25, 2010 Flag

Will brushing my teeth with a toothpaste containing baking soda be harmful for the enamel on my teeth?

Girl Whitening Her Teeth
Whitening Your Teeth
Health & Beauty Beauty AdviceMarch 25, 2010
Muffin with a bite out of it.
Muffins Taste Like Baking Soda
Up close photo of the front of a baking soda box
Saving Money on Baking Soda
Inflating Balloon During Balloon Experiment
Blowing up a Balloon with Baking Soda and Vinegar
Pouring Sparkling Water
Making Sparkling Water
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 11:15:23 AM on 10.0.2.241 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.