Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Does Baking Soda Damage Tooth Enamel?

Does baking soda damage tooth enamel?

By Billy from Detroit, MI

Best Answers

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By Anonymous [848]03/29/2010

Three of my grandparents brushed their teeth nearly their entire lives with a good old fashioned baking soda paste made with water. One never used a toothbrush but rather his finger. Two passed away in their 70's and the other passed away in her 90's. All passed away with no enamel or tooth decay and all still had all of their teeth.

Too vigorous brushing or too hard of toothbrush bristles will cause much more damage than a baking soda paste.

By Deanj03/26/2010

I don't think it does. I have been using Arm and Hammer Complete Care tooth paste on the advise of my dentist for many years with no bad effects. Baking soda is the leading ingredient in Arm and Hammer toorh paste.

By Lady of the World [1]02/04/2007

I have been a dental hygienist for 39 years and I have many patients that are using a toothpaste with baking soda. Tooth paste with baking soda is high on the market now and has been ADA approved. However, if you start feeling any sensitivity, stop using it awhile and then maybe only brush with it several times a week.

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By susan [5]03/29/2010

Brushing with too much pressure or with a brush that is anything but SOFT will wear away tooth enamel. Baking soda usually won't do any damage, but if you have thin tooth enamel to start with, use a hard bristle toothbrush, and a lot of pressure, you'll probably end up with problems.

By Litter Gitter [91]03/29/2010

I grew up using baking soda to brush my teeth. Even now, I occasionally use it to whiten my teeth and remove tea and coffee stains.

By kathleen williams [23]03/26/2010

Yes, tooth enamel will wear off when using baking soda, making the teeth very sensitive and vulnerable to cavities. Thus, chronic use of baking soda can cause permanent damage to the teeth, and can even damage the tooth's surface,don't use it every day,good luck.

By Jill [4]03/25/2010

My only worry would be the abrasiveness of it. The toothpastes with it are formulated to be less abrasive; but I really don't know about baking soda itself. Hopefully someone can tell us if it is too abrasive to use straight every time.

By Joan [13]03/25/2010

People used to use baking soda instead of tooth paste all the time. In fact I have heard of dentists recommending it at various times. I imagine it's like everything else there will be pros and cons.

Here are questions related to Does Baking Soda Damage Tooth Enamel?.

Question: Cleaning Teeth With Baking Soda

Will half of a teaspoon of water and baking soda work for your teeth? Will it wear off the enamel on your teeth?

By Veanna

Most Recent Answer

By sethhickman42 [1]09/29/2012

You will be fine. I swish with a tiny bit of peroxide (main ingredient in whitening strips and paste) and dip my brush in baking soda afterwards. GREAT results.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Does Baking Soda Damage Tooth Enamel?

Will brushing my teeth with a toothpaste containing baking soda be harmful for the enamel on my teeth?

Mel from London

RE: Does Baking Soda Damage Tooth Enamel?

I have been a Dental Hygienist for 39 years and I have many patients that are using a toothpaste with baking soda. Tooth paste with baking soda is high on the market now and has been ADA approved. However, if you start feeling any sensitivity, stop using it awhile and then maybe only brush with it several times a week. (02/04/2007)

By burrdo

Ask your dentist? Get online at dental health web sites? Send inquiries? (02/06/2007)

By wordswork

I was recommended baking soda as a tooth-whitener and cleaner, and at first there were no problems. And my teeth did start to look whiter, but now I am noticing what looks like "surface chips" on my front teeth. These are places where the tooth appears a little duller, and I believe it is enamel damage. I have yet to talk to my dentist, but they will likely yell at me. It's enough to stop me from ever using straight baking soda again. Don't risk it. (10/13/2008)

I use baking soda, but not everyday, about once or twice a week, depending on how discolored your teeth are. I have an Oral B electric tooth brush, and clean each quadrant of my teeth with baking soda, dipping the brush head each time, for each quadrant, for about a minute. When I am done with that, I use my regular tooth paste. When I am done, I use hydrogen peroxide, I swish with a small amount for as long as I can, usually spitting out a small amount when it foams too much to keep my mouth closed. This usually for at least 5 minutes while I shower or wash up, whatever. Do not rinse after.

When you are done, your mouth feels so good and clean. I don't eat or drink for a while. The peroxide is a wonderful thing for your gums and the saliva, with the baking soda and peroxide, sort of helps to equalize things. I have done this for years. I know people who use baking soda or sea salt to brush their teeth and have no problems. Personally, I think fluoride is poisonous, so I don't use it. (10/16/2008)

I tried recently using baking soda to whiten my teeth. I also have caps and they seem to whiten a little, too. My teeth got sensitive the first 2 or 3 times I used it, but that has gone away. My teeth have become whiter without sensitivity and feel clean. I don't know if there is any damage, but I'll find out on my next dentist visit. So far, so good. (02/21/2009)

By Sandi