Outdoor Graduation Party

Planning an outside party for a physician's assistant graduate in August. (in Texas) I have a pool and big backyard with trees. I haven't decided on menu for sure, I can cook smoked brisket and chicken ahead of time and I have a margarita machine. There will probably be about 50 people. Any "special" ideas from anyone out there?

By bonita from TX

Hi Bonita, Once I read your question, my mind started spinning with ideas. What a fun profession theme to throw a party for! I would for sure make it fun by sticking to the "medical theme" Maybe BBQ "ribs" and BBQ chicken "Thighs". How about sending the invitations on RX prescription sheets?You can make your own and just print them out on a computer. You can purchase a whole box of clear rubber gloves (not powder coated) at WalMart in the pharmacy section and fill them with snacks such as peanuts or pretzels.

You can also get paper surgical masks and footsies that you can do something with. How about the game "Operation"? just put it on one of the tables which would go with the theme and I bet you will find several people actually playing it throughout the day! You can also find plastic doctor kits in the toy section at Dollar Tree(or other dollar stores) that you can use in different ways.

How about thermometers on a "heart" shaped cake instead of candles? Maybe a group of you can chip in and buy the guest of honor a nice stethoscope for a gift?I was in the medical field for years and a good stethoscope is your best friend. Good luck and I'm sure your party will be a lot of fun! One more idea(see? my mind is running rapid!) Start saving empty aspirin bottles. Wash and dry.Poke holes in cap and use them for salt and pepper shakers on the tables?

Maryeruth, those are great ideas! :)