Inexpensive Activity Ideas

I am a college student so of course we are always broke. I don't like bars and in a small town, even with money, there's not much to do Do you have any ideas?

By Mary

When I was in college, most of the students didn't have cars, we did a lot of walking. Sometimes would stop in a cafe for a pop/soda or coffee. A lot of us never went to a movie or a bar. I know some did. I was better off than a lot of the students, for one thing I had worked for two years, and I lived with an aunt and uncle(my Dad's brother and my Mother's sister) and they didn't have kids of their own, so I was kind of spoiled. <p> I got to use their car to go to and from school, and sometimes to do some cruising, but when I used the car for cruising I would use some of my spending money and make sure the car had as much gas when I went home as when I started out. I probably could have spent more on recreation, but preferred to spend more money on clothes.

There is also card games and board games.

Bunco night, or poker night, Scrabble, Monopoly, strategy games, teahouses/coffeehouses, knitting/crocheting groups, pancake parties, book clubs, movie nights, walking clubs, ultimate frisbee, frisbee golf, croquet, bocce, badminton, volunteer work, tutoring.

Find someone of like mind, make a plan, make a flyer or invitations, and do it. If you don't know how to proceed, decide on an idea or two, and repost on here being more specific about what you need to know to get started (or message). Understand that it may start small; but chances are, you are not the only one looking for outlets.

Sit around in a circle and tell a story. The trick is one person at a time next in line can only add one word to the story. And you only have 5 seconds to give the word or you are out. Keep going around until there is only one person left.

The added words must make sense with the sentence being formed.

This is hilarious fun! Fixitiguy1971

Join (or start!) a young adult group at your local church. This is a great way to meet decent guys who have values, which is a rare find these days!

Best of luck and God bless you.

Once a week some university friends and I used to get together to cook something fun to eat before watching a movie or playing a game. The cooking together was as much fun as the movie or game. No one had much money, so we all pitched in with the ingredients for the meal. When we made pizza the host or hostess for the night made the dough and everyone else brought a topping ingredient. It was a lot of fun creating pizzas or preparing other meals according to one or more recipes that we thought sounded good. Sometimes we spent a whole evening just cooking, talking, laughing, eating and, of course, washing up. One time a friend brought a friend who taught (or tried to teach) us how to salsa dance after our dinner. Other times people brought guitars, bongos or other instruments and we had jam sessions. Good times!

In the years since graduation I've been fortunate enough at times to have friends who enjoy getting together like this, but not recently. Since moving a thousand miles away to a small town we have been a bit lonely. I think that I need to follow my own suggestion and ask some people over for an evening of cooking, eating, music and a game of some sort. It will be a good way to get to know the people better.

I'm glad that you posted your question about inexpensive activities because you have helped me as well as yourself and maybe others.

The local library is not inexpensive, but downright free. They'll oftentimes have decent movies and/or games you can borrow for 2-4 weeks, and may have a book club you can join.

I was never much of a joiner myself and was painfully shy, so would walk downtown (in our small city everything was within walking distance.) I'd go to the matinee and have lunch at the local diner. I also read constantly, so spent a lot of time browsing the library for books. There are not only quiet nooks in the library, there are always parks for outdoor reading.

Is there an adult literacy council? They always are looking for volunteers, often will pick you up, and look great on your resume when you are out and looking for a job. And you can make some wonderful networking contacts too.