Watch Out For Registration Tags Stolen Off Your Car

A local pal, whose husband, has been in a hospital in another town, recently had her car's registration tags stolen off her car, while there. She found out the hard way about something that my husband and I heard about several months ago. You need to take a knife or something sharp to your vehicle's registration tag, once you've placed it on your vehicle. There are folks that are stealing them and selling them to earn money for drugs. She had to pay out the whole fee all over again to re-register her vehicle. She said the local DMV office said there's a lot of that going on now, around here and in other areas.

By Terri from NV

Editor's Note: Most DMV's appear to only charge a small fee for replacing these stickers, not the entire amount of the registration. Oregon, for example, charges $10. However, it is best to discover this before you are pulled over.

Here in Texas we don't have to worry about our car tags getting stolen or switched. Several years ago, for that very reason, the DMV switched to stickers that are placed on the INSIDE of the windshield next to the state inspection sticker. And if you take them off the window they are destroyed and are unable to be used again. I don't know of any other state that uses this method but I think it's great. All states should do this.

I live in New York and our state has the same thing where our inspection and registration stickers are placed inside the window and they do get destroyed when you take them off to put the new ones on. I just wish someone could come up with an idea to keep the license plates inaccessible. I have never had one stolen from my car but thieves do that too.

LI Roe

I live in California, I just noticed that my tags were stolen. I tried the tip: use a sharp knife/object, cut diagonally, but this didn't stop thieves from taking my hard earned money (my tags). I hope that California laws change, to move registration tags to the inside of our cars.

Frustrated :(

Stolen car tags can be replaced for $18 at your local DMV in California. I had mine stolen recently, however you can avoid this by scoring your tag lightly with a razor after applying it to your plate. This prevents someone peeling off the sticker in one piece, instead it comes apart in small pieces! Ha Ha ha! Thieves! Pay your registration like the rest of us!

The rear license plate of a red car from California.
Discouraging Auto Tag Theft
Consumer Advice Cars Helpful HintsFebruary 5, 2008
Making Reusable Gift Tags
Making Reusable Gift Tags
Homemade Luggage Tag With Pins
Homemade Luggage Tags
A gnome in a garden.
Preventing Yard and Garden Theft
Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch
🎉
🎄