Whiteboard Marker that Won't Come Off

I cleaned my whiteboard with a Scotch pad and water and now the markers just sink in and won't erase. This cleaning procedure was demonstrated to me on another board and it worked well. What do I do to fix my board?

Hannah

Best Answer

To get Sharpie marker off of a whiteboard, color over it with an Expo marker and erase with a whiteboard eraser.

Best Answer

Scotch-brite is certainly safer than solvents such as WD-40, but it IS an abrasive, and it WILL take *something* off the whiteboard surface. Re-waxing your surface is probably a good idea. In the future, I suggest using a cleaning chemical with a low toxicity if it won't come off.

Hi,

I read on another board somewhere that you can wax it with car wax and it works great again. I am not 100% on this so lets here from some others please!!!

If alcohol doesn't work, Cream Perioxide will (Beauty Supply, like Sally's), unless the surface has been scratched and the finish is ruined. Good luck. : )

I found a great solution for any whiteboard that no longer works. Just recover it with a disposable whiteboard material. I used GoWrite Dry Erase Rolls (Self Stick Dry Erase Rolls AR1806 ( 18" X 6' ) - Fabulous. They work better than the original LOL!

I have used many of the above techniques, including Windex, to clean my whiteboard. Eventually the whiteboard got so that any marking wouldn't wipe off easily. I was told that anything other than alcohol is too toxic to the board and abrades the waxy finish, so if you use stuff that makes it so the marker doesn't wipe off easily you should rewax the board! Then it should be like new again.

By the way, I now use hand sanitizer or rubbing alcohol mixed with water, and it does WONDERS for getting the board clean!

December 4, 2006 Flag

I just bought a whlteboard/blackboard for my son and had got a bunch of whiteboard markers at a garage sale, they are definitely marked as "whiteboard marker" but after I let him loose with one of them (black colour) on the whiteboard I was horrified to find out that they wouldn't come off with water. I have not tried anything else yet....HELP! I only bought the board a couple of days ago and now it is covered with a 2 year olds scribbles (as much as I do love his artwork LOL), they won't come off :-(

TIA
Katrina

Answers:

Whiteboard Marker that Won't Come Off!

Rubbing alcohol or alcohol gel (in most antibacterial hand cleaning gels) will remove permanent marker from a whiteboard. (11/30/2004)

By Anne

Whiteboard Marker that Won't Come Off!

Hairspray, nailpolish remover and OOPs are what I would use-try each one in that order. OOPs will definitely work. And return the marker to the store! (11/30/2004)

By Linda

Whiteboard Marker that Won't Come Off!

Glass Cleaner and paper towel works for me everytime. (11/30/2004)

By CHRISTINA

Whiteboard Marker that Won't Come Off!

Most of the time dry erase markings will look permanent. Soap and water usually works, I use the brand Expo white board cleaner to clean my boards on a regular basis. If it turns out that it is permanent, and nothing works from the feedback here, I will ask our custodians what they use to remove permanent markings!
(11/30/2004)

By Cindy

Whiteboard Marker that Won't Come Off!

Use another whiteboard marker to write over the markings already on the white board. This will "loosen" them and you can them wipe it all off with a tissue. Easy!! (11/30/2004)

By Natalie

Whiteboard Marker that Won't Come Off!

Clorox Clean-Up has removed whiteboard marker that has set for a long time and needed some extra muscle to get off. I have also had my kids use regular markers on them and the Clorox Clean-Up works wonders! It also works on your tables, counters, walls, etc. It is excellent for cleaning your coffee pot, tea pot, tea pitchers, etc. (12/01/2004)

By Princess Frogee

Whiteboard Marker that Won't Come Off!

Mr Clean Magic erasers work wonders. It got PERMANENT marker off my refrigerator which has been on there for at least two years. you might try a small area first to make sure it doesn't damage the board but I think this would do the trick. (12/01/2004)

By JOANN

Whiteboard Marker that Won't Come Off!

WD-40 is great for getting those ghost marks off the board. (12/01/2004)

By Ginger

Whiteboard Marker that Won't Come Off!

use acetone, ethanol, or fast orange, Fast Orange works especially well (02/08/2005)

By Anonymous

Whiteboard Marker that Won't Come Off!

I used Clorox Soft Scrub and it came right off! none of the other tricks worked for my board. (07/29/2005)

By Jess

A dry erase board and markers.
Cleaning a Dry Erase Board
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousDecember 4, 2006
A whiteboard with scribbles all over it.
Cleaning Permanent Marker Off a Dry Erase Board
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
Removing Permanent Marker Off Walls
Removing Permanent Marker from Walls
🎉
🎄