Making MoneyBudget & Finance

Getting Paid to Help a Friend Move and Stage a Garage Sale

A friend is hiring me to help move and stage a garage sale. How much do I charge to help her set up? This is a business transaction and she is willing to pay me per hour or a percentage of the sales. Which is best?

By Iris from Mays Landing, NJ

I would just let her make an offer. Usually friends help friends for no pay, unless you are takin time off work to do it.

Around here, auction house pros do it for 10%. So, you could see what the rate in your area is.

I have helped a god many friends with moving and with yard sales. All I ask for is they treat for lunch or dinner which most of the time has been pizza delivery for everyone involved (one time it was a monster sub). :)

Anonymous

I would never dream of charging or accepting pay with friends. I am with Suntydt to simply ask to be treated to a nice meal and that would be nice bonus relaxing time spent while eating with your friend.

Can not believe that anyone would even consider thinking finance to assist a good friend. In any case it is not your call to wonder what percentage you are entitled to.

Please don't be unkind to Iris because her friend is paying her. You have no idea the circumstances between Iris & her friend. Sometimes we do things as a complete favor & that's wonderful. Other times, people want to pay for our help, or maybe Iris makes her living doing odd jobs and this one happens to be for a friend!

How much you charge to someone not a friend?

It depends on the amount of time and effort you are putting in. Is it only be 3-5 hours or 20-30 hours worth of work? Does she want to make (significant) money or just get rid of old stuff? Is your friend physically able to do it all and you are just a "bonus" to the project or are you the backbone of the operation?

Whatever the situation, we stand behind you and your friend and hope that the move and sale go well for all. Good luck.