Winterizing Windows

Can someone give me a very easy way of winterizing my windows? I just have to save some money this winter! Someone told me you can do it with thick painter drop cloths. Anyone have some really good ideas?

Kip from Llano, TX

Best Answer

You can buy the plastic window kits made by 3M,Frost King and others at Home Depot and hardware stores. The tape has adhesive on both sides. Place tape around window, apply plastic sheet and use a hair dryer to remove wrinkles. Come the spring the tape will peel off and not remove paint. Or you can use silicone. That is a product that is used to make gaskets and should peel off in the spring.

Best Answer

I heard that you can use bubble wrap, instead of the plastic that they sell. Several people said it really worked well, and they recommend the larger bubbles.

I'm going to try it! I have double paned windows, but I'm sure I have leaks...and I want a lower bill than what I had last month!

THANKS LEE!

-Kip

I have to say the window kits are marvelous. They work well, are inexpensive, and very easy to "clean up" when winters over. I also think that the Dap tip sounds really good also.

Good Luck

Make curtain liners .. great for summer and winter

I used old acrylic blankets at camp, but at home I bought new ones. You can either line the curtains, or sew directly to curtain, or put in button holes and slip hooks into the holes, or use safety pins and pin them up till you have time to fix properly

It will make a huge differance.

Ria (MAINE)

When it's really cold, we hang up spare blankets over the windows AND the doors. If we have rooms we don't use, turn off vents and close doors or hang blankets over the doorways. It makes the house dark, but warmer.

To weatherize but still let sunlight in, try using a double layer of plastic bubble wrap. It's supposed to be as effective as double-paned windows.

I read in a magazine to use cardboard cut to fit windows and press in with your hands this they said was also good for children and pets because they couldn't poke holes in it. May be on the dark side though I bet you could use plexiglass and then reuse every year.

I bought rolls of clear heavy plastic like you can use for drop cloths or covers at Big Lots and some white Duct Tape... It actually works Better than that shrink wrap stuff.

I used large bubble wrap tacked inside a white quilt cover with bamboo canes sewn into the edges. It's held in place with cup hooks in the window frame. Light comes through, it looks like white curtains from outside - and best of all it cost me nothing as I had the materials to hand!