Start Christmas Cactus for Next Year's Gifts

It is a little too late for this holiday season but you can get started for next year. I was in a store the other day and glanced at the price of their Christmas Cactus. To pay $134.00 for a gift that will cost me max $2.00 is crazy. If you start now, you can save.

Take a piece of your own Christmas cactus and put it in a small pot (2 inch) with good potting soil. As the year goes on fertilize with liquid fertilizer once a month. Once it starts growing, repot to 3 inch and so on, but remember they do better root bound. By the holidays next year, you should have a good size plant(s) to give as gifts.

By Katarinabell from Sunny Florida

$134.00 for a Christmas Catus? How many are you buying? Home Depot has them dirt cheap, Good idea to propagate your own.

I agree with Jeannette! How many and where are you buying your plants? Even at our most expensive local florists, I've never seen one that expensive!

I do appreciate the tips on propagating my own though, and plan to buy one this year as soon as they come out here and trying it.

The price of $134.00 could have been a typo!

I am thinking the $134 was a typo as well. Even for a really large nice one it is only $20.

They are easy to start just make sure the pieces are at least 4 "segments" long and it would be better to put them in a clear cup/jar in water in a sunny warm spot to start growing roots before you pot them, imho. When the roots are at least an inch long and about the diameter of angel hair pasta it would be a good time to plant.

Christmas Cactus
Starting a Christmas Cactus from Cuttings
Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts FrugalDecember 14, 2009
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Pink Christmas Cactus
Getting a Christmas Cactus to Bloom
Christmas Cactus in bloom
Caring for a Christmas Cactus
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume
🎄