Hiding a House Key Outside

Does anyone know of a creative, secure way to store an extra house key outside? We don't want to do something obvious like put it under the door mat, but we want it as close to the door as we can. I know you can buy fake-looking rocks to put a key in, but I was wondering if anyone has any free ideas! Thanks!

Kathy from SD

Make a deal with one of your neighbors to swap keys--your key under his door mat or flower pot and vice versa.

you could hide it inside of a potted plant or if you wanted to spend a bit of money, you could by one of those rocks that have a hole in them just for keys. i'm not sure how expensive they are though.

We have one that looks like a thermometer and

you hide the key inside. It slides open. Why couldn't

you buy a pretty thermometer and tape it to the back? I wouldn't hang it right by the door though. J.B.

I have a flower pot on my deck that I fill with sand and put a citronella stick in...I keep a key hidden in the sand

We have always taped a spare key to the underside of the cover of our circut braker box. It's not too close to our door, but in a pinch it's there and it gets you into the house.

A friend of ours put a key to their house on a nail in the crotch of a tree (the side closest to the house so the sun's rays wouldn't reflect from the key). Even for those of us who knew it was there (emergency use) it was a little difficult to find.

Why on earth would anyone want to share with the Internet world where to hide house keys ... that's advertising to all the thiefs out there!

Criminals are not the smartest people ... don't point it out to them.

Grandma Bess, where did you get your thermometer one at ?

Do you often need the outside key, Or is it an emergency key? If you use it frequently keep the front door key in the backyard, perhaps on a nail on the fence, so that nobody sees you going to get it and use it.

My neighbor keeps my key in her unlocked garage on a nail in her tool cabinet.

Make a deal to park it at a neighbor's house under or in a fake rock that is a few houses away from your house.

I once dropped my daughter's friend off at her house and the child fetched her entry key in this manner.

Don't buy one of those things that you hide a key in. They're pretty obvious and I'm sure anyone who shops at Wal-mart or any store has seen them and knows what they are. At my last house, I put a key in a small ziplock bag and hid it under some mulch in a flowerbed. No one knew it was there, but was easy to get to when I locked myself out. It was in the same place for 4 years before I had to use it, but I took comfort just knowing where it was if I ever needed it. Don't give it to a neighbor -- they are never home when you get locked out. I had a friend who did this, and the neighbor told her daughter inadvertently whose key it was. Well, the daughter mentioned it to her brother when one of his friends was over and the friend overheard it, and to make a long story short, the key was stolen and someone used it to get into her home. The insurance refused to pay since they had a key.

I know this sounds silly, but carry it with you. I know a man that keeps a spare key in his wallet. Hide it in your car. Put it in a pill box in your purse. Make sure anyone who would need one has thier own key. If you hide a key then have to keep using it, it won't be long before someone figures it out. Just a side note, I carry my keys in my pocket when I'm out. That way if something happens to my purse I have my keys.

We're moving so this isn't a secret anymore .LOL I hung mine on a wire from a small nail that was used to hang an outside decoration on the wall close to the front door. It WAS there for over 25 years we have used it maybe 5-6 times. And the kids knew where it was in case we were not home when they came to visit, so maybe they had used it twice.

Another time hubby had placed one under a rock in a rocky area, in a baggy near the house.We found it by accident the other day...It must have fit the old door,as it wasn't for the one we have now.And one more idea. He chiselled out a small hole in the post holding up the porch roof put the key in and sealed it up with a small piece of scrap wood and hung an outdoor thermometer over it. Always the tinkerer. Now I will not tell you where it is now.lol A neighbor used to put hers in the roll up sun blind on her patio. She has moved also. GG Hugs, Vi

We have a key hung on a nail high up in a tree. I also gave each of my kids a house key and attached it to each of their backpacks on one of those coil type keychains so they dont lose it.

I have my spare key duct taped to the inside of my rottweiler's collar.

here is what I used to do...hopefully no one will because no one should EVER chain a dog outside, you live and learn, but we did...I would put my spare key in the german shepherds dog house. I figured if anyone was brave enough to check in there they deserved to find it!!!

NEVER CHAIN A DOG OUTSIDE FOR ANY REASON IF YOU HAVE TO CHAIN A DOG, DO NOT GET ONE

THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME THIS PLATFORM

Duct tape it behind the closest down gutter.

Good ideas. I accidentally (as if I'd do it on purpose) locked my dog and me outside one cold February night, and finally managed to get in through one window that wasn't locked, thank goodness.

Hanging flower pot or dryer vent or dog kennel or neighbor's yard, keep a spare key somewhere safe. You'll use it.

I keep an extra door and car key in my purse.

We took about 75 old keys and the house key and painted them different colors and made windchimes, only friends and family members know which color key is to the house.

they are called something like a key vault... they are little boxes that you screw to a wall and have a 3 digit code you enter in that allows you to get to the key... hard to get the key out without the code... and fairly small so could be put somewhere inconspicuous....

there is a thing called a key vault... not all are built equally... but some are very tough.. it is a combination system that you can enter in a code to get out your key... it can be screwed to any wall and secures very well...

Depending on what conditions you need to be able to access the hidden key, duct tape it to the back of your car license plate. I do it with a spare car key and it has worked beautifully for years. If you need the key to be accessable when the car is not at home, hang the key under your neighbor's deck or other location as other people have suggested. I would NEVER keep my house key anywhere close to my home. Even the license plate idea makes me nervous.

Burglars are very smart/cunning. They will think of things to enter your house that you have never thought of!

it does seem sort of silly to share with the www where to hide a key - makes me think it would be much better to wear it on a cord or chain around my neck !

Or if you have an elderly or shut in neighbor who is ALWAYS home - maybe leaving it with her or him would be a good thing --

I know this sounds so obvious it seems silly. But I am a key Loser! I have locked myself out of house and car so many times over the past 30 yrs I could never count them. So I made a small investment in one of those Large key hooks that you can attach to your belt loop. It has saved me SO many times.

I still have a key at my parents home but this little hook gadget has been an investment WELL worth the money! AND as for my car, I bought a car with a keyless entry combination. So until that goes out I SHOULD have that problem solved.

I would say the most important thing is to place it somewhere that you could retrieve the key without being seen. Once a person sees you get your key, they will know where it is. I love the windchime idea, but I am too paranoid and that is pretty high profile. (Maybe if there were 500 keys to choose... hmmm...)

We have buried a key in a small tupperware container, but that can be frustrating when a year passes and you have to dig in the dirt but are not exactly sure where.

I am thinking of buying a few key vaults, and swapping keys with neighbors. They would have my key vault and I would have theirs. You could get several neighbors a vault. Then, if a person were to break into one, it would be a guessing game on which house it opened. If he were targeting your house, he would have to break into several vaults to find your key. I bet they would give up on finding a key in that scenario.

What about a dryer vent, covered in lint? The dog's house or collar is a great idea for those with outdoor dogs that might be unapproachable to an intruder. How about the zipper on the cushion of patio furniture? Or hiding the key to a hidden lock box? (Can you say scavenger hunt?) If you have many flower pots, bird feeders, lawn ornaments, etc, use a different one each time you use the key.

If you have a lot of paving stones or trees or something all together, pick one to start at and count in a certain direction for the number of letters in a password or phrase. Then you can just tell family and friends when the passphrase changes, or (getting more creative...) you could have a decorative wall hanging or yard ornament with a quotation on it, and change it to a different one when you need to change which rock your key is under.

Make it too difficult for them to be found, and change your hiding place as soon as you use it. Cycle through many hiding places. At least if you forget which one it is hidden in, you will find it eventually.

I remember my father locked himself out of the house once, as I was with him at the time. He said "I have a spare key hidden in the cement joint in the wall in a plastic bag. I haven't used it before". When he tried to use it it so was crusted up with rust it would not fit in the lock. It had been there at least ten years, and we had to wait for mother to return home to let us in!

I use a paver that is part of a small walkway I have in my grassy area to hide a spare key. What I do is wrap my key in plastic wrap and coat it with Vaseline to retard corrosion and rust. Then put the key in a old film canister and dig a small hole under the paver in the dirt. No one has ever found it but we know where it is if we get locked out.

We put a hook under the hand rail on our deck to hang the key on and put it towards the back side of the rail where it is not visible at all.

I locked myself out of my house. Garage door was closed and all windows locked. Had to call lock smith and my locks are completely "unpickable"! Oh dear!

Hiding Keys, A key hidden under a mat.
Hiding Keys - Tips and Tricks
Organizing MiscellaneousJune 16, 2007
rock hide a key
Making a Pill Bottle Hide-a-Key
Spider Hanging on web Outside
Getting Rid Of Spiders Outside House
girl looking at a pimple
Hiding a Pimple
Money hidden in a china sugar pot.
Hiding Valuables
🎉
🎄