Painting Pressboard Cabinets

I have kitchen pressboard cabinets that have a white plastic like covering. All of the plastic is cracking and when I peel it back it is press board, how do I go about painting these cabinets instead of replacing them?

By janai_marie from Galliano, LA

I would use an oil based primer for the first coat and then an oil based paint for the coat of your color.

I agree with lorraina, but I think they should be sanded first to help the primer adhere better.

I'm not sure this will hold up for very long, given the cabinets you're starting with. Is there a way to add a wood veneer on top of the cabinets? More work, but it would last longer.

Hi, Our rental apt bathroom cabinet was made of that stuff too. It was pressboard, but had plastic over it that was falling off. I peeled off the loose plastic completely to expose the pressboard. It had a decorative plastic edge that stayed on so I left that there and I lightly sanded the cabinet and plastic parts. Then I used 2 coats of primer on them, and painted it white. I used Kils primer and white latex paint and that's it. That was 2 years ago and it still looks great.

Just make sure you prime all the exposed areas of the pressboard so water doesn't get on the wood.

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingAugust 6, 2009
Wood Kitchen Cabinets
Cleaning Wood Cabinets
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets
Cleaning yellow stains on cabinets.
Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets
🎄
🍂