Refrigerate Jar Overnight to Remove Labels

I made an alarming discovery today quite by accident. I am an compulsive recycler so I save all my spaghetti sauce jars. I use the same brand all the time so they match. Yes I use them for drinking for hubby and me. I have decent glasses but these jars are sturdy.

A few weeks ago one of our sons went grocery shopping with DH, and was helping him put things away. He didn't know where the jars of sauce went so he stuck them on the door of the fridge.

Since I am also frugal with time and effort I left them there. I got one out today to use and found that the label was loose. It only took seconds to remove. Yea! I had been placing them in the sink with a wet cloth around them till it soaked loose. Sometimes it would take hours. I'll be keeping them in the fridge from now on. An overnight stay in the fridge might work for any jar labels you have.

Source: My son Steve who didn't want to "lose" Mom's spaghetti sauce.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

Thanks for a great idea.

If you don't have room in the fridge for the extra jars (what we can't reuse in the way of jars goes into our town's glass recycling once a week) - get a batch of them together and soak in hot water (completely immerse the entire jar) with a squirt of Dawn dish detergent. They generally come loose in about fifteen minutes.

Spaghetti Sauce Jar with Torn Label
Removing Labels from Glass Jars
Home and Garden Cleaning TipsSeptember 1, 2009
A pink piggy bank made from a plastic mayo bottle.
Mayonnaise Jar Piggy Bank
beaded lid
Crafts Using Jar Lids