Using Lemons to Clean Your Microwave

Sometimes we end up with tough baked on food stuck to the walls, ceiling and floor of our microwave, so hard that you almost need a chisel to get it off. Try this next time.

Wedge a whole lemon and place in a glass or microwave safe bowl.
Half cover with water, place in microwave and cook on high for about 5 minutes. Let sit for an hour or two.

When you come back you will find that you can wipe off that hard baked on guck so much easier. It works even better than those silly little lemon scented pads that you buy to do the same job. All safe and natural, no chemicals or harsh fumes and next to no scrubbing if any.

By Sheraone from Ontario

Good idea, I also read to use vinegar to clean microwaves. Have done it a few times. Just put some vinegar in a glass bowl and turn on the microwave for a minute or two. Let it run its cycle, and then let it sit for only 5 minutes or so. Take the sponge and start working on the gunk, it removes quite easily.

Why not toss your gently used kitchen sponge in to get lemon-refreshed, too? I'll try it sometime. I'm in the habit of cleaning the insides/outsides of all appliances when I do dishes, so I just don't seem to ever have a significant buildup. : )

July 16, 2007 Flag

This is an easy, inexpensive way to clean the inside of your microwave. We all know how we can sometimes neglect this. I have tried every product out there, but this is the best way I have found to do it. Just put a few inches of water into a microwave-safe bowl and add a little lemon juice to it. Now, microwave this on HI for about 2 minutes. You will have condensation from this on the inside of the microwave and you just wipe it down with a paper towel or wash cloth. The food splatters, etc. will just wipe right off. I do this all of the time. I hope this helps someone!

By Kim from Paducah, KY

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesJuly 16, 2007
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Meyers lemons in canning jars.
Canning Lemons
Lemons growing on a tree.
Growing Lemons
microwave
Microwave Peanut Brittle Recipes
🎄