Replacing Side Rails With a Bed Frame

I have a beautiful antique iron bed and the side rails don't support my mattress and box spring. I have a Hollywood frame but it's too high and doesn't allow attaching a headboard and footboard. Where can I find a low frame that will let me attach a headboard and foot board?

By Dicoach from ME

Those side rails are meant to have boards or some people call them slats running between the rails. Most of the ones that I have seen are about 1" thick and 4" wide. You have the boards cut to the exact width to fit inside the rails. Most of the people use 3 or 4 of the boards, but I think I would use 6 of them.

Redhatterb is right. You just place the slats from side to side and set the mattress on it. All these old beds called for slats.

I wanted to keep my iron bed but wanted a queen-sized bed. We solved the problem by attaching 2x2 boards, cut to a length to accomidate the side rails, to the bottom of the bedsprings with screws. They keep the springs from slipping and support the bed and its occupants very well. They have been in use for about 10 years with no problems. This might be an option in your case.

Home and Garden Repair Furniture BedsOctober 14, 2010
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Sleigh Bed
Choosing Bedding for a Sleigh Bed
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Bed Rail Padding
Bed Rail Padding Ideas
🎉
🎄