Peeling Egg Shells

Peeling boiled eggs is my least favorite chore in the kitchen. I don't like to get the egg shells under my nails. A friend taught me a neat trick several years ago. He didn't have any nails to lift the shells. I suppose this is a tip for both women and men!

1. Drain the boiling water from the pot of eggs.

2. Refill the pot with cold tap water.

3. Allow the eggs to cool until they are easy to handle.

4. Use the back side of a teaspoon to firmly tap the entire egg until all sides have been thoroughly cracked.

5. Find a spot on the eggs shell that will allow you to slip the edge of the spoon under it.

6. Slide the edge of the spoon under the egg shell so that the spoon cups the white of the egg.

7. Push the spoon with a scooping motion.

8. The egg shell should lift away from the egg in large pieces attached to the thin membrane that lines the inside of the egg as you move the spoon.

9. Finally, you have a nice smooth egg.

By esptechy from Louisiana

If you peel a penny size spot at the pointed end, and a quarter size spot at the fat end, you can firmly hold the egg, blow into the penny end, and the egg will pop out at the quarter end. Works every time.

There are even a few uTube movies showing it, if these instructions are not clear enough.

Have FUN!

This is a great tip for peeling eggs.

I use my daughter in law's method for cooking the eggs. Cover eggs with water and add a little salt. Do not put a lid on the pot. Start on high. When water comes to a boil, cut heat down to medium and set timer for 12 minutes. After cooking, drain water and cover with cold water. Let set for a little while then peel while eggs are still warm.

My least favorite chore in the kitchen is cleaning fresh pig intestines. Second least favorite is putting out grease fires.

I boil my eggs for 3.5 mins. soft and 4 mins. hard boiled. Run them under cold water and then just tap the egg on the kitchen counter until one end is cracked. Put finger nail under cracked egg and peel. Simple & quick.

Two brown eggs, one peeled part way, on white background.
Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs
Food and Recipes Food Tips EggsSeptember 17, 2010
Freezing Bell Peppers, Canning Bell Peppers, Peeling Bell Peppers, Drying Bell Peppers, Storing Bell Peppers, Growing Bell Peppers, Selecting Good Bell Peppers, Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers
Peeling Bell Peppers
Someone peeling a a peach.
Peeling Peaches
Slice of cantaloupe with other cantaloupes in the background.
Peeling and Slicing Melon
Small stack of nectarines against white background.
Peeling Nectarines