Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Substitute for Fast Fade - A Recipe to Fade Dark Denim Jeans

The company that makes RIT Dye Fast Fade has discontinued this product. Does anyone have a homemade recipe or method to fade very dark indigo denim? I want to fade my jeans a couple of shades all over, not just to spot fade them.

Thanks for all replies.
Truerblue

By

By fx10304/22/2013

I bought 5 lbs and will sell 2oz for anyone wanting the original RIT Fast Fade. Message me if interested.

By Randy12/12/2009

Maybe if we all got together and asked, they would bring it back? I sure do miss it!

By andylee (Guest Post)12/20/2008

USE Sunlight Machine Dishwashing Powder!
I'm so bummed that RIT discontinued this product. I spent the morning finding an alternative. Good News, RIT still had the MSDS for Fast Fade on it's website so I was able to find out what made it so great at discharging indigo-dyed denim. <http://www.ritdye.com/MSDS.74.lasso>

The main agents are Sodium carbonate and Sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate. Of these two agents, it's the Sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate that works to discharge the dye through oxidation. The carbonate alkalizes the pH, stabilizing the dihydrates reaction with the dye (it's basically a water softener). It also helps ensure proper chemical bonding between the dye and the fibers of the denim.

A quick check on the Household Products Database provided by the US Department of Health and Human Services website brought to light products still at market with these ingredients. <http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/index.htm> It looks like Sunlight Machine Dishwashing Powder has both of these agents and would be relatively safe to use at home. I do NOT recommend any novice go out and buy Pool Shock which is 99% Sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate and start messing around in their washing machine. Sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate is not to be trifled with! So give the Sunlight a try.

By Debb (Guest Post)09/23/2008

I'm not sure if this will work, but my friend told me that if you put zero calorie soda all over your jeans, then put it straight to the washing machine alone. Then air dry the jeans.don't use the dryer. NOTE: I never tried it, so I'm not 100% sure if this will work.

By OOP (Guest Post)07/07/2008

How about using half a package of Rit color remover?
Anyone tried that? Sometimes when I use the color remover, the fabric will just come out almost removed. Would 1/2 the packet work?

By Brad (Guest Post)03/22/2008

Use lava soap (or any pumice based soap) in the tub (great for wearing on the knees and crotch),or throw them in a double loader with 1 bar and wash 2 times.

By Naseer Ahmad (Guest Post)12/19/2007

I have a small denim jeans manufacturing industry. Faded jeans is the in thing but I tried Bleach which does not work on most bull denim. Can someone give me an idea of how I can fade jeans commercially?
Thank you.
Naseer Ahmad

By Dale Thaxterr (Guest Post)11/28/2007

I have tried the rit color remover, but it takes a while to fade the fabric for what I use it for. I use a face cloth to fade patterns on my pants. I'm trying to find sometime that fade faster.

By Abfitch (Guest Post)09/09/2007

The RIT Fast Fade is not sold anymore, but they do still sell what is called RIT Color Remover which does the same trick. Use it in a tube or bucket so that you can reuse it if needed. Hope you like it.

RE: Substitute for Fast Fade - A Recipe to Fade Dark Denim Jeans

By Annie Harrison (Guest Post)06/24/2007

Try using a cup of salt in your machine - and only half fill it. I wear jeans all the time and if you wash them every day for a week, on a long cycle, they will fade all over. You can see how much they have faded if you compare the outside color with the inside of one of the pockets. If you want them softer - soak in a very strong solution of fabric softener overnight and then wash as usual. The salt helps with softening too.

By rachel (Guest Post)04/13/2007

im trying to make my normal t shirts get that worn and vintage look . i know they had fast fade but i wanted to know if there was anything else . thanks

By Amanda (Guest Post)04/13/2007

If you start with thick jeans - Arizona's are nice - the bleach will both fade and soften them up. It's hard on the fabric, which is why a thicker denim is advisable; I did my first bleach fading on a pair of Arizona's on clearance for 6.75. Thirty dollar Jeans for 6.75, so I wasn't too worried about ruining them. I soak my jeans in the bath tub with bleach and water. I'm going to try a few patterns (I bought five pairs of the 6.75 jeans), like you'd do with tie dye, by "painting" on a bleach and water mix.

By kat (Guest Post)10/21/2006

I also am looking for a substitue for fast fade!! It worked perfectly on my son's jeans, just the right color. Wonder why it is discontinued? I have tried bleach, but the color isn't as good, and it probably is hard on the fabric.

By Laura Justice [2]09/14/2006

Does Rit still make the box of color remover? Once upon a tight economy time-- the dye of the garmet was removed and then re-dyed. I would take my time-read the directions well- dunk the garmet into the remover-- swish it around, wring it out, rinse it out-- keeping the remover in it's bucket-- then dry the item-- check for color-- and repeat as needed. After you've got the right color-- you'll need to wash the item by itself-- in case you still have color "bleeding"--
good luck

By Gepe (Guest Post)09/14/2006

I tried doing this with bleach................i washed the jeans first not using any fabric softner.Then I added a 1/2 C. of bleach to the washer on a short cycle, it faded them.After this I re-washed them in just a small amount of soap and used fabric softner.This is probely tough on the fabric abit, it DID FADE THEM.If anyone knows another way please answer as I too would like to know............. Thanks :)