Go Diego Go Centerpieces

I would love to make Diego centerpieces for my son's 2nd birthday party which is the "Go Diego Go" theme. I am thinking of using foam cut outs of Diego and sticking them into a foam disk with a wooden dowel, but I am not sure if it needs to be weighted or secured to the table. Please help me with ideas.

I would also love to make wooden figures to stand up on the ground, but I am not sure how. I like the one from the picture, but I don't want to use a flower pot. Please help!

By Apryl from Miami, FL

If you don't want to use a flower pot, since they look kind of "girlie", you could use galvanized buckets or beach pails, both of which you could get from the dollar store. You could also take a rubber ball, such as a small soccer or football (again, from the dollar store), cut off the top, and use that as a base. To stabilize the arrangement, use marbles or river stones for a dollar a bag from dollar store. I love the idea of using Diego that way!

I have done this before with metal pails, but really any container that would hide the styrofoam would work. I have even used little felt Easter baskets found in the dollar aisle at Target before. I covered mine with crinkle paper like you use in gift baskets. I stuck big suckers into them and they did not need to be weighted.