Creating a Budget and Sticking To It

How do you make a budget and stick with it?

By Verenl from Huntingburg, IN

I am 62 years old and this has worked for me all these years. First get you a notebook to write in. Make columns in it like you would a checkbook. One column for date, check no., transaction, amount, deposit; then start listing your bills. I make a column for yearly, like car ins., taxes, tags, house ins. and so on. The next is utilities and this includes phone, light bill, paper, trash pick up. Just keep going with your columns up and down the paper with the headers across the top until you have a column for every bill you have.

Next as your bills come in list the amount at the very top and divide this into how many times you get paid. For example light bill. If it is $100 and you get paid twice a month divide by 2. Every time you get paid put $50 in that column. Keep going with every bill you have doing the same thing. The first time you get the bill of course you will have to pay it. But the next time you get paid you will deposit half in your column for that particular bill. It will probably take you about a year to go through every bill you have because some you won't remember until they arrive. Your yearly bills will be divided by every how many times you get paid in the year.

Your monthly bills will be divided by how many times you get paid in a month. Your weekly and bi-weekly the same. The lest over money will be for groceries, gas, lunch, clothing etc. The left over is what you will draw your savings from. Don't spend it all. Keep the notebook up to date and if a particular bill increases, then increase the amount you take out of your check. I keep this notebook up daily and even go on-line daily to check my balances at the bank. Every purchase I make with checkcard or check goes into this notebook. I track everything and it has been a true blessing, wisdom from God Himself over the years. God Bless and Good Luck.

Try purchasing books like miserly mom at the miserly moms website. Helpful hints at Frugal Living on a dime website is really helpful. I love the mixes to have on hand, keeping the grocery bill lower. Anything helps and having a saving mindset really is the most helpful thing of all!

Creating a Budget, Budget graph and a roll of money
Creating a Budget
Budget & Finance BudgetDecember 19, 2009
A chunk of stuck together ice cubes.
Keeping Ice Cubes from Sticking
Woman Consulting Her Shopping List in the Supermarket
Creating a Food Budget
Envelopes containing cash labelled Fun Gas, Insurance, and Food.
Create a Budget With the Envelope System
Bride and Groom Putting Money in Piggy Bank
Creating a Budget for Your Wedding