Cultural CelebrationsHolidays and Parties

Link: What is Passover

Passover begins at sundown on Monday, 4/18/2011. The Jewish day begins at sundown the previous day, according to the Gentile calendar. Here's an interesting link on Jewish traditions and holidays:

By JustPlainJo

You may want to click the "start Here, What is Passover" link on this site, but it's a great clearinghouse of Jewish information... holidays, calendar, etc.

I found the site quite interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous

When I was a child the movie 'The Ten Commandments' with Charleton Heston and Yul Brenner played on television every year on Easter Sunday and because of it I came to adore the book and story of Exodus.

Oh how arrogant Pharoah was thinking he was the almighty and oh how stubborn and cruel! It saddened me that it took the death of his own son (because of his own edict for the oldest of every male Jewish child to die) before realizing that it truly is God who rules.

When I lived in the Melrose District of Los Angeles, which was/is highly populated with Orthodox Jews, I used to love listening to the singing and prayer coming from the family that lived beneath my apartment and the family next door during every Jewish holiday. I would keep it silent in my apartment just to be able to hear it because the celebration brought such a wonderful feeling of peace and appreciation of God!

Thanks for sharing the link with everyone here JPJ!

Very interesting Jo, and answered many questions I've nurtured for a long time regarding the Jewish way-of-life and religion.

Thank you for sharing the site.

Pookarina

So glad it's been helpful. I've always been curious about Jewish traditions, and learning hubby is part Jewish - Messianic, not Orthodox - heightened that. I also never realized how many people I graduated with are Jewish until they became my FB friends.

Thank you for this interesting site. It sounds like the the poor Jewish house wife has her work cut out for her! All this spring cleaning would take much more than a week! And if she worked outside the home, and had kids. I don't envy her.

Elsa, I understand it was pretty hard on everyone who tried to "keep kosher." Different dishware, pots, pans, etc, for different types of food? I'd just be confused. They'd never let me enter the synagog, let alone Temple.