Product Review: Parvoguard

We lost a male Lab with parvo. We had Cheyanne and Dakota, both around 6 months old. They were raised in the same yard and both were on their shots. But Dakota still caught Parvo and we lost him at the vet's office. Chey quit eating and lost all her enthusiasm to play. We then looked and found another male so we brought in Cocomeaux. I treated the inside and out with bleach. After almost 2 weeks, Cocomeaux started showing signs of Parvo. But one thing that saved us this round, I did research on the net and found this stuff called Parvoguard. We ordered it just to have it.

The day it arrived at home, we walked in to a mess. All symptoms were there for parvo. We started him on the Parvoguard and, let me tell you, I keep it all the time now. When anyone shows signs of the tummys messed up, I give them a dose and they seem to do better with it. So let me tell you, look up Parvoguard on the net. It's around $35.00 a bottle, but it beats the suffering you and your pet go through, not to mention the cost. So just try it! I promise it's a life saver.

By Lisa from Kountze, TX

Hello...

I am so sorry to hear about you losing your Lab puppy, hugs to you !!! I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years and I must tell you that Parvo Virus stays in the environment for up to a year, so PLEASE be careful with your new puppy..Cleaning with bleach is the right thing to do but remember that Parvo can be tracked in to the house and other areas. it was too soon to bring in another puppy to the area where the Parvo was. I hope all goes well with you and your new fur babies.

I have a 4 1/2 month old female lab puppy molly.. she was tested for parvo and has it. The vet gave her 3 shots at the office and i opted to treat it at home. I do not have the money to hospitalize her but shes my baby and i love her. I ordered parvoguard for her and this is her first day using it. Already she is eating and drinking a little, wanting to play. I dont know if its fom the shots or from the stuff i bought. I figured at least im trying something..doing nothing is much worse. I will keep you updated on her condition. She is on her 3rd day of parvo. I also have 2 other dogs. So if anyone knows the chances of them getting it please let me know. I bleached my backyard and have cleaned what i could with bleach, Its the only thing i can do besides move.. and i cant do that right now.

My dog has had parvo for 5 days and has been on parvo guard for two days - and she is not getting better, but dramatically worse. She is crying now in pain, a mixture of howl and whimper. Anyone have any idea if I have just poisoned my dog with Parvoguard? No offense if the Parvoguard is actually good stuff. I will also mention that she was on IV for the first 3 days. Vet basically gave up on her. She has had two blood transfusions. She is doing really bad but she has survived 5 days. She is a strong dog. 6 mo old Rottweiler. PLEASE ADVISE, any advice, any at all.

Editor's Note: Because she was on an IV for the first 3 days, she is probably dehydrated by now. Make sure to keep feeding her water or pedialyte or Gatoraid using a baby bottle or dropper so you can keep pushing some liquids in her. Hoping the best for her.

My dog was recently diagnosed with parvo and it is gonna cost about 1000 dollars to treat him. I was looking at some sites about parvo and found parvoguard. The vets are about to give up on him and we dont really know what to do so were gonna try Parvoguard and ill tell you what happens. If any one has any advise please tell me.

Oct of 06 we had brought home a brittany spaniel who was great for 5 days. Very quickly we knew she wasn't feeling well. Took her to the vet. They just didn't know what was wrong they did a parvo test anyway and she came back neg. We went home knowing there was still a prob and she was getting worse took her back the next day only to discover she tested pos for parvo this time. I already knew!

I've seen parvo before and this time it was really bad. Did the IVs at home for a week only to watch her slowly start slipping away, got desperate and found parvoguard started her on it when I knew it was probably hopeless as now I was approaching 8 days, after the 1st dose she was on her way to a full recovery. Keep the faith and buy the parvoguard my house will never be without it!( )

I have had a total of 4 puppies to contract PARVO--the 1st came from our local pound & I knew nothing about this disease. Needless to say, he died 8 days after we adopted him. A few months later I picked up a puppy from an ad in the newspaper--then got his brother 3 days later. The puppy I picked up first came down with symptoms a couple of days later and yes, his brother was next. The local vets advised me that if the puppies had already been infected there was nothing I could do except bring them in, have them put on IV fluids & antibiotics, then hope for the best--this would have cost upwards of $800-1000 per puppie. I ordered Parvoguard & had it rushed shipped next day. My opinion--This product sucks!! It did NOTHING for the puppies--and by now the second had gotten symptoms as well. A friend that breeds pitbulls--something I also DO NOT agree with--advised me, "If you want these puppies to live, then you need to do what I tell you. Do it as soon as possible. Forget what the vet & anyone else tells you. If you dont do this--Then those puppies will be dead within 3 days." His advice to me was this--go to the local livestock feed store (we live in rural GA) and tell the clerk you need a couple of '5in1' or '7in1' puppie shots. Yes, he meant a vaccine. You can purchase these yourself and give the puppies the shots they need to prevent parvo. The vet had told me that if you give a puppy a shot that already had PARVO it would kill the puppy. The vet is WRONG!! Our local feed store was closed for a long weekend because it was a holiday--I was there the minute it opened on the following Mon. I went home and gave each puppy a shot. The I forced immodium-AD for children, and Emetrol (anti vomit) for children with an eyedropper every 4-6 hrs. And forced pedialite (forced between clenched teeth--liqued running out sides of mouth because puppy will not swallow) with an eydropper every 1/2 to 1 hr. Even though the puppy doesnt swallow--liqued will still be absorbed. Did this work?? One lived--one died. If I had been able to get the shots at least a day sooner then both would have lived. The vet actually was WRONG. Antibiotics will not help. PARVO is a virus that sloughs the lining of the stomach and intestines. Antibiotics do not treat viral infections. The puppies do not die from the virus itself---they die from a lack of nutrients and dehydration. Because the virus causes them pain and they suffer more when they vomit or have diarreah--they refuse to eat or drink and literally starve themselves to death. If they can be kept hydrated until the virus passes they will live. I dont know why the shot works even when a puppy already has PARVO--BUT IT DOES. My first 2 died--but I have 2 others that are stronger now than most other dogs. And 3 other friends of mine have brought their puppies to me instead of the vets, I also saved them. If you have a puppy with PARVO--waste no time--GIVE THEM THE SHOT IMMEDIATLY. You can order these from varius online sites if you cant purchase it locally. Here it costs between $5 and $10 at the feed store---vets charge 10-15 times more than that and wont give it to a sick puppy. My 2 and 3 more puppies of other friends lived because we went against the vets advice and gave the shot anyway. To quote a friend--"If you want these puppis to live...."

There is some bad advice here. I am a veterinary microbiologist and my research focuses on canine parvovirus. One of the things I do is run clinical parvovirus trials on dogs testing potential new treatments. One important thing to consider is Parvaid has never been tested in a controlled, clinical study that I can find. All accounts of efficacy are anecdotal and not based on scientifically gathered data. This is dangerous.

Your doctors are correct in advising against vaccinating your puppy if it is already showing clinical signs. Their years of medical training and experience are scientifically validated and speaks louder than several anecdotal accounts that a vaccine is a cure for a clinical dog. If you understand the mechanism and immunology behind how vaccines work, you will realize why your vet is not wrong at all. The purpose of vaccines is to generate an antibody and cell mediated response to a pathogen by introducing an avirulent strain to the host. Canine parvovirus moves through the body hematogenously and this makes it very susceptible to antibody. This is why parvo vaccines can be so effective if they're used correctly. If the animal is already infected, it is already trying to mount an immune response to the pathogen. This is difficult because CPV infects the mesenteric lymph node. Lymph nodes are the sites where immune responses are created. Vaccinating a clinical animal is likely to not be beneficial, but in fact have an opposite effect by further stressing the immune system. Additionally, virus introduced through a vaccine may bind up what little antibody is available, preventing it from attacking the pathogenic virus. Finally, active immunity created by vaccines generally requires at least 10-14 days to mount a response. The fastest response I have seen in a vaccine was 5 days, and that was in healthy beagles and the response was still quite young.

Antibiotics are important in treating enteric viral infections. Secondary bacterial pathogens such as Salmonella, Clostridium perfringens and difficile, and E. coli will prosper because the normal gut flora is destroyed and this is thought to be one of the greatest confounders in canine parvoviral pathogenesis. Bacterial toxins further damage the intestinal epithelium, resulting in lack of the ability to absorb nutrients or maintain fluid homeostasis.

Suggesting to bypass a veterinarian and treat an animal with parvovirus yourself is irresponsible and negligent, especially to an animal's welfare.

Parvoguard
Parvoguard Reviews
Consumer Advice Product Reviews Pets HealthcareJanuary 19, 2007
woman brushing a cat
Product Review: FURminator
Laundry Drying Outside
Reviews of Wind Fresh Laundry Detergent
two young African American women with curly hair
Product Review: S Curl - Curl Activator
A Garden Journal
Keeping A Garden Journal
🎄