Organizing Your Coupons When Shopping

On Sunday night, take out your store fliers from the newspaper to check for sales. Take an envelope and write on the back which products that you want, the size and the price (very important so that you buy the right thing or if unavailable and you need to check with the store or if a item rings up incorrectly.)

Next, match up your coupons to these items and mark them to indicate that (I use an 'x' in front of the item), before putting the coupon in the envelope. It will save much time if you list the items in the order that you shop for them in the store (e.g. produce first, if that is the first place that you go to).

Cross off each item as you find it, as you shop. Be sure to put the envelope in your purse when done! Also, you may want to put coupons for restaurants in your car's glove box- funny how they seem to be home when you decide to stop for lunch?

Source: I developed this method years ago when I was a Coupon Queen.

By Roxanne from Rochester, NH

I think you are making work for yourself Roxanne. If you used a box with all your coupons by category, just pull out, check date, set aside.

Using a Sharpie CIRCLE the item on sale; it already indicates the size in the ad. Now put all coupons in front of box, ready for the cashier. If item is out of stock, courtesy desk can readily see what item you wish.

I agree with Roxanne. We don't get many coupons over here but, when I have a few, I always write down what I need and what size. I was once caught out at the checkout because I had the wrong size for the coupon. It's easier this way than pulling out the coupons to check as you go round the store.