Use A Rubber Mallet In The Kitchen

I had a pasta sauce jar that wouldn't open, no matter what I did). Out of desperation, I tapped it lightly with a rubber mallet. It worked!

I've seen many TV cooking shows in which a sharp long sturdy knife is partly sliced into an acorn or other hard shelled squash, and then a rubber mallet is used to tap on the knife until the hard squash is cut all the way through. So I bought one for $5.00. We like acorn squash sliced thin and BBQ'ed on the grill, but I can't make it unless DH is home to cut the squash. Usually, I poke a few holes in it and microwave it until it can be cut with a knife. By then, it's too soft for the grill if I haven't caught it in time and stopped the microwave. Haven't tried this particular model of mallet on an squash yet, but it's a dandy jar opener. Just be sure not to hit the lid on the glass jar too hard.

By Holly from Richardson, TX

You can hit the jar lid on the floor with a quick tap. I do this on my kitchen throw rug - haven't broken a jar yet.

Wear a pair of rubber gloves after you tap the cap a few times. The lid will come off easy. The reaon we tap the lid a few times will stretch the metal and make it larger and easier to remove. Try the gloves with the squash.

My husband was a tinner!

I also have ran the jar lid under very hot water to loosen it. I have also tapped the jar lightly on the counter and that loosens the lid without breaking the glass.

Woman Sifting Flour to Make Cookie Dough
Frugal Kitchen Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips Kitchen ToolsOctober 22, 2007
A crafter using rubber stamps to decorate a handmade card.
Cleaning Rubber Stamps
Pile of Colorful Rubberbands
Using Rubber Bands to Make Stamps
Tender rib eye steak on a grill.
Using Meat Tenderizer Seasoning
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires
🎉
🎄