Renting Cars for Long Trips

The poll about leasing a car reminded me of our renting cars for long trips. My husband thought it was better to rent a car than use ours. Why put miles and wear and tear on it? So when we travel we rent a car and never worry about anything.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

Top Comment

My husband did the same thing for long trips. It seemed a little extravagent, but at the same time the feeling of relief of not putting the strain on your vehicle is worth it. Especially making wrong turns, etc on a trip would frustrate me to no end, but now knowing it's not my vehicle mileage it's easier to deal with.

I use entertainment coupons for renting and also whatever else I can find, such as a Sam's club membership.

Top Comment

Dorie, The cost is less if you shop around.It saves on your own cars wear and tear, tires/repairs etc. And if you have insurance on your car it should apply to the rental also..You don't need to pay for theirs.Check with your ins. to be sure.And yes Tedebear ,asking for a discount is always an option, AARP and AAA club both are available in most cases.

GG Vi

Top Comment

We took our son on a high school graduation trip in 2001. My brother, his wife and their granddaughter went with us. That made 8 people. We rented a 15 passenger van. This gave everyone plenty of room. When we reached Los Angeles it also allowed the relatives we were visiting to ride with us. We had a 3 week rental with a total of 4500 mile allowed. We had 32 miles to spare. This was one of our best trips ever and the cost was $1200.

Top Comment

We rent if we are going on a trip because of gas mileage. Our vehicles are good for short day trips, but when my mom and I went to Lubbock, TX to look at Texas Tech which is 9 hours away from my house, we rented a car. We had a Dodge Ram 1500, and it was much cheaper to rent and pay gas than it would have been to pay gas alone in the truck. We rent from Enterprise and they have good weekend deals, not sure about rentals over a couple days long. We usually take our car to the rental place and drive both home and do the same to return!

Sounds like a good idea.

Doesn't it get costly?

Dorie

Hi Great Granny Vi, This is a great idea. We have done this when we were thinking of buying a new car. There are always great rental deals. IF you are a senior, mention you need a discount. You would be surprised how often discounts are available.

Quiet fun. And that's right, better rent than gave your car the wear and tear. i don't know what to think if i saw my car in a mess and spend some dollars for it. oh well, i don't want to worry after that long happy trips. renting cars are worry free somehow. http://thefastestautoparts.blogspot.com/

Ladies and gentlemen,

I beg to differ. You have to consider many things before deciding whether to rent a car or drive your own vehicle. Some times you have no choice but to rent a car. For instance, 6 people in the party, but the car can accommodate only 5.

If your vehicle is reliable, you get regular maintenance performed, and your family doesn't hate the vehicle, you should use your own vehicles.

The reduction in the resale value of your vehicle due to the additional mileage and wear and tear is negligible compared to the rental fees and taxes. Especially if the trip lasts several days.

Bottom line, it depends on several things whether it is frugal to drive your own vehicle or to rent one on a long trip.

We always drive our own car/van because of the convenience, high mileage, and flexibility. Also, we can clean up the mess children make over the next weekend.

By the way, how do you get to the rental place and how do you get back home after returning the car?

I drive DC to Atlanta twice a year. I always drive my own car, much less expensive than a rental. Plus, I like driving my own cars.

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

Three girls sitting the back seat of a car.  One is holding a map.
Renting Cars for Long Trips
Consumer Advice Cars Renting a CarFebruary 17, 2006
An street with an "Apartment For Rent" sign.
Renting an Apartment
A dog standing on a driveway.
Training a Dog Not to Chase Cars
car gear parts in carton box
Saving Money on Parts for Old Cars
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
🎄