The Price of Powdered Milk

I would like to hear from ladies who use powdered milk and what you usually pay for a pound. Here in California, it is $4.50 a pound. This is from a bulk bin at a discount grocery. This seems high to me. How much milk do you get from a pound? All the recipes I see go by cups. The price of milk is so high I want to switch but I don't know if it is worth changing. Milk is $3.20 a gallon for comparison.

Joy from Visalia

Editor's Note: A pound of dry milk is approximately 4 cups.

I use this alot. I use 1/3 cup of powdered for a cup of milk. So If I mix it up with water, I mix in 2/3 cup of water with 1/3 cup of powdered milk. I think this is very worth it.

If you do not like the taste of powdered milk try mixing it half and half with regular milk. Question, how much is a gallon of milk in Ca?

When my children were young and it was expensive to have milk for growing children-I would make a gallon of powdered milk and then mix it with a gallon of whole milk--and would end up with 2 gallons of milk--it tasted much better than straight powdered milk..and if you do this when the children are not around they usually don't even no the difference..

Shop around, many 7-11's & other convenience stores still sell regular milk for only $2 per gallon. (just to get you in the store) I just bought a gallon of whole milk yesterday for $2 at Fred Meyer's. (in Washington State on 7-31-07)

My daughter buys all organic milk for her 4 year old because she doesn't want her daughter to grow early breasts from the added milk hormones! My mother told me recently that milk will be going up so high that to buy organic might be less expensive. It's because they are using the corn & grain that would normally go to feed the milk cows to make "Flex-Fuel" for cars, or as we called it back in the 70's, "Gasohol." This bumps the price of milk & meat up through the roof... According to the news people, as far as milk prices go, "We haven't seen nothin' Yet!"

Maybe we should quit paying the farmers NOT to grow & start paying them TO grow corn again instead of importing it from China like we do now!?

---> Back in the 70's my ex mother-in-law used to mix half whole milk & half powered nonfat milk together to make 2%... & it tasted great! ... But these days it can be much cheeper to just buy fresh milk if you can get it for only $2 per gallon. Am I wrong? Is it still less expensive to buy powered milk?

But how many cups can you make with a pound?

Editor's Note You may want to weigh it to be sure but here's what I found online:

Dry Whole Milk Powder

Ounces per Cup= 4.5

Cups per Pound= 3.56

Dry Non-Fat Milk Powder

Ounces per Cup= 4.25

Cups per Pound= 3.76

Milk, Non-fat, Powdered

Ounces per Cup= 5.45

Cups per Pound= 2.9

milk here in midwest, Columbia Missouri WalMart

was $4.63 a gallon last week

I purchased the name brand powdered milk at WalMart for $11.33, 80 1 cup servings. I figured it's about $.14 per cup. Milk is about $3.80 for 16 1 cup servings, about $.23 per. Just make sure powdered milk is made the night before so that it can get really cold.

Here in Western Kentucky milk for 2% at Walmart (Walmart brand) is $3.60. I was getting 2% at our local grocery for $2.99 for the longest time, now it's the same price as Walmart. As far as powered milk, a small box at Walmart is over $7! And I think I calculated that it only made 1 gal. I have tried to do the powered milk here with it plain and mixed with 2% milk...no one would drink it! So to me it was a waste. We have cut down on purchasing milk quiet a bit since it has gone up in price.

In Missouri, near St. Louis, milk is around $3.09-$3.83 a gallon for regular red cap milk. If you have an Aldi's near you, you may want to spend $7 on a box of powdered milk from them, much cheaper then any other store's generic or name brand powdered milk. So far, mine has lasted a few months (I don't use it as much as I should, but I don't cook much with milk either.) My 4y/o drinks mostly milk, can't get her to drink much of anything else, so I've taught her to drink powdered milk, and it does help! So, check out your Aldis, and if you don't have one, you might be able to buy from them online, check it out!

Even if you chose regular milk for drinking, you may want to buy some powdered milk (especially if you can get it at Aldis) for cooking, making homemade mixes (hot chocolate, etc.), and baking. You'll still be saving some money, and the powdered stuff lasts forever.

my kids never liked the taste of powdered milk by itself. so I would mix it 1/2 & 1/2 with regular milk.but I did like to use it in cooking when I could

Recently I decided to try powdered milk in place of liquid because I read online elsewhere that it's cheaper., so I bought a small box (they had either small box or large box) of Carnation to try out. After chilling over night, I drank some and could not believe how GREAT it was! WOW I like POWDERED milk! So anyways, we drank all that, then I went back to buy more, and got to thinking. That box that cost $4 (give or take a few cents) made a gallon - That is the same price of a liquid gallon!! Actually, the powdered was a little more. So.. how is that saving money? (I checked the price of generic and it was still the same price as liquid milk!!)

Powdered Milk
Using Powdered Milk
Food and Recipes Food Tips DairyJuly 31, 2007
Powdered Milk
Powdered Milk Ice Cream Recipes
Collection of dried and canned foods including box of powdered milk.
Making Powdered Milk Taste Better
Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk
🎉
🎄