Recycling Plastic Canvas

By Lee 38 145

I purchased a spice rack with a pineapple motif done in needlepoint on the front. I didn't particularly like the pineapple motif so I removed the plastic canvas piece. I was looking all over for something to put in its place. Then I thought, duh, rip out the old design and needlepoint another!

University of Georgia Dawgs motif

So, I sat down and ripped out the old design while I was watching TV at night. It took me quite a while, but I got it done. I then found a pattern for my UGA head. For those of you who are not from Georgia, UGA is the mascot for the University of Georgia Bulldogs and the most recognized mascot of all college teams (per Sports Illustrated).

Then I went about re-needle pointing the head and freehanded the design for the DAWGS below the head on my salvaged plastic canvas. Then I popped the new design back into the cabinet front. As you can see, I refurbished my spice rack and made it my own!

This is going into my University of Georgia themed room in my home. It is a guest/craft/sewing room. It will be holding spools of thread rather than spices. I hope that this recycling of the plastic canvas piece inspires others to do the same and reuse what you have or find before tossing them into a landfill.

The only thing left to say is "Go Dawgs!"

Source: Me: Being the thrifty/frugal/cheap person I am. I always try to think of a way to use something before it goes into the recycling.

By Southeastgeorgiapeach from Jesup, GA

Showing: Comments Sort

By Lee 38 145 Flag

Here is the photo of the finished cabinet.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By vickie guy 42 101 Flag

Great Job!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By lisa 3 97 Flag

Good thinking! Nice job!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cricket 205 895 Flag

For 25¢ a sheet I'd have just bought a new sheet of plastic canvas. But your new design on it is fantastic! So life-like! You really did a great job!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sue Hinely 20 36 Flag

Fantastic job Georgia Peach! Go Dawgs

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jennifer 1 Flag

I loved this recycled plastic canvs craft. I do plastic canvas and I would really like to have the pattern to this, if you don't mind. I from Sumner, GA and my brother is a huge bulldogs fan and I would like to make this for him. My email is jdees74m AT bellsouth.net Thanks, Jennifer

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By STEPHANIE SHRAWDER 1 Flag

I love this picture. It's looks really great. I was wondering if you can get a pattern of this.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By shpuffin 1 1 Flag

Love it and been looking for plastic canvas pattern of Georgia Bulldog and saw you have it and would want a copy of pattern as it looks good.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Plastic Canvas Craft Ideas
Plastic Canvas Craft Ideas
Crafts Needlework Plastic Canvas CraftsApril 24, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Making Plastic Canvas Christmas Ornaments
Recycled Paper Envelope Finished
Making Recycling Fun
Plastic Canvas Craft Ideas
Plastic Canvas Craft Ideas
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 8:13:57 AM on 10.0.2.235 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings